Herping in Blackburn

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vicherps

Reaction score
So today i went to a reserve strip in blackburn to do a bit of herping. Saw heaps of Striped Marsh Frogs a few Common Froglets, Southern Brown Tree Frogs, Spotted Marsh Frogs, Delicate Skinks, Garden Skinks and Weasel Skinks not much :(. Out of the herps i saw i only took photos of the Striped Marsh Frogs the one in a picture was a male found calling under a log nearby a swamp. It was a big male specimen at that nearly 7cm.

Attachments

• IMG_0038.JPG
    IMG_0038.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0042.JPG
    IMG_0042.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0043.JPG
    IMG_0043.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 41
good to see anther local as i am from balwyn, another good place is along the ivanhoe trail, what reptiles u keep ?

Hi mate I keep 2 Blotched Bluetongues I'm more of a field herpetological though. Yes I have been to Ivanhoe seen tiger snakes, brown snakes, southern water skinks, eastern and blotch blueys garden and delicate skinks etc. People have told me of seeing Common Long-necked Turtles and Water Dragons ( both introduced pops of Physignathus lesueurii lesueuii and P.l. howitii. although i have not looked for frogs in the area in no therwe quite a few in the general Ivanhoe area Melbourne water frog census have told me u get common froglets, vic smooth froglets banjo frogs striped marsh spotted marsh southern brown tree peron's tree and eastern dwarf trees (they have come from fruit boxes from further. Orth and are establishing in some parts of Melb. I'm not local to Blackburn i live in Richmond closer to the city but am not far away from Blackburn.

also seen a few marbled geckos ( originally introduced from sneeking into wood piles and people removing granite rocks taking the gecko in the process from further north.

Yes nick should try and find some with a nice red vertebral stripe instead of yellow although they can lack the vertebral stripe as well. it's the place I was telling u about.

wow, Im not far from you guys.....I am going to go down there and have a look sounds wonderful !!

vicheaps seams u really know your stuff in regards to the locals in that area and there backgrounds, keep up the good work and knowledge mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back