Herping Port of Brisbane and surrounds *enquiry*

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tooninoz

Reaction score
Curious to see whether many (any?) have had experience herping in this area?

Excuse the mud map;

map.jpg

In the past I have seen the signs at the Colmslie Reserve (lower left of the pic) warning of snakes in the area. The area had a concentration of abbatoirs and grain processing up until recent years, and given the concentration of residential/commercial growth, it appears that snakes have been forced into the narrow band of natural growth along the river.

It's further down the river that interests me. The area consists of some large areas of wetlands/grasslands, with the mangroves alongside the river regarded as vitally important. The mouth of the river is home (over the various seasons) to up to 4,500 species of migratory birds and is part of the Eastern Australasian Flyway. But, to the herps.

It is rumoured to be home to a very large population of Eastern Browns and Carpets, but the once prevalent RBBS has been decimated by the cane toad. Hence, the browns have flourished. I know the Port of Bris Authority conducts a 'snake awareness' component in their Site Inductions, and a friend that worked as security for the Caltex refinery told me that there were regular sightings of snakes. There was apparently an abandoned residence on the refinery site that had been fenced off due to the alleged dangers associated with snakes and had 'restricted access'.

Has anyone here had much experience with this area? I'm thinking of a drive out to the port to have a bit of an explore and just curious to see what others opinions were?
cheers, toon

msg me when u want to go, will tag along! let's look for treasure!! and we'll take a club 4every toad we c....=] brad the toad killer.

I wasnt aware there was much public access in that area, let us know how it goes.

that it would i would be keen for a hunt but would like it to warm up a little first and poor rbb they are my favourite ven, only place i've seen them of recent is western brisbane where i've seen higher populations of gtfs

For sure, not a good time to go looking for snakes, but I'm looking at responses from people that have been out this way.
Cris, there is actually a lot of access, but it seems you just have to know where to go. And sink thigh deep in mud. Apparently.
Seems like a good time of year to explore anyhow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back