Herping Smiths Lake.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Friller2009

Reaction score
Recently, I went on a holiday to Smiths Lake. Like any avid herper I couldn't wait to get out, but it rained quite a bit at night, so I only had one chance to herp.

I found many, many spiders so if you are afraid of spiders don't read through this thread.

After walking through rainforest in ankle deep mud for a while I managed to spot some eyeshine in the bushes. Looking closely I found a really fat huntsman spider on a fern.IMG_0809.JPG
Directly to the right of the first spider, was another huntsman.IMG_0815.JPG
Continuing along the trail, We came across a large puddle that had covered up majority of the path. Suggesting we turned our lights off, we heard the call of a Striped Marsh Frog (Limnodynastes peronii). Using the triangulation method I managed to find him hiding in a patch of reed at the edge of the puddle. It was quite hard to get to him, as the area he was in had no solid ground, and it turns out the puddle was deep. IMG_0822.JPG
While I was taking some photos of the Striped Marsh Frog, my dad turned around at just the right moment to see a Squirrel Glider glide directly above us! This is a very rare thing to see in that area so it was great to see one! (Sorry for the crappy photos, it was 50+ metres above us and the light was only barely showing the Glider)IMG_0828.JPG
After about 15 minutes of finding nothing I noticed a foam frog nest with eggs inside.IMG_0836.JPG

And then we found more and more huntsmans. IMG_0849.JPGIMG_0868.JPG
And for some reason I managed to spot this giant millipedeIMG_0835.JPG

Then I spotted a water spider IMG_0870.JPG
As it was starting to rain, and we were a fair way away from the house we were staying at, we decided to head home.
I managed to find another huntsman, but this one was eating a cricket.IMG_0886.JPG

Continuing to head back I found a pair of Striped Marsh Frogs in amplexus!IMG_0878.JPG

And that was my Herping done for the night!

Attachments

• IMG_0828.JPG
    IMG_0828.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0857.JPG
    IMG_0857.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0879.JPG
    IMG_0879.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 1
Back