Herps at Work.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blues Dog

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.

Well for my first post I'd just like to show you some of the critters I've had the pleasure of running into on site. I'm an Environmental Officer working on a construction project in Mackay North Queensland.

1st up are the couple of Carpet Pythons I've had to rescue.
injuredcarpetpython2.jpg

This poor fellow (about 1.8m) was clipped by a slasher mowing the grounds around one of the site offices. Thankfully it was a flesh wound, no bones broken. Half a dozen stiches and 6 weeks being looked after by a local carer and it was right to go.

DSCF1864.jpg

Ok, this not so happy camper (2m ) nearly found himself under the tracks of an excavator. That and the NZ blokes who were working on a fence nearby were worried about getting tagged (I've seen some of these NZ guys turn white at the sight of a blue tounge ),. Believe me I was more worried about the snake being hurt then them. (bin was the only thing handy at the time)

DSCF1039.jpg

This is a Small Eyed Snake I came across doing a fauna search in a swampy area we were going to be working in. about 50cm. Unfortunately I didn't get any shots of the colouration on its underside which was very nice.

GreenTreeSnakeBensHouse2808.07.jpg

Got a call from the Boss's Missus trying to get hold of him. Apparantly she had a brown snake in the house and had barricaded herself in the study and was sounding rather panicky. As you can see from the photo turned out to be just a little (1.5m) ol Green Tree Snake (gloves went on before I'd worked out what I was dealing with. Let it go in some bush down the road.

LaceMonitorMSWRF2109.07.jpg

This Lacie showed up last week. Looks like He'd been laying up under the concrete slab over the weekend only to find out he'd set up camp in the middle of the construction zone. Thankfully there's no big machinery working around him so its mainly just the guys on site walking past. They all like to catch site of him( had a bit of a job trying to convince a couple of the guys that it wasn't to be caught)

well theres some of the critters that makes my job just a little more interesting. We've also had two or three Mulga snake, two common browns and there's been a couple of taipan sitings on the site near the swampy area. But its cane cutting season and they're all looking for a new place to set up camp and seeing as we've got lovely piles of soil, timber,old concrete, pipes I guess I'm going to being seeing lots more.:D

Wow :shock:

Fancy coming across some of those at work, sounds like never a dull moment :lol:

Wow nice work.

I've had the pleasure in the past of herping and working, nothing beats it!

Those are some awesome Herps around the site...absolutely brilliant...

I think you'll find that Monitor is probably a Yellow Spotted Monitor (V.panoptes) rather than a Lacie - in which case, good luck to the boys who want to try their hand catching it - they'll likely lose it (the hand that is... ;))...

whatever that monitor is, its beautiful!!

Lucky u having such an interesting job!!

good luck to the boys who want to try their hand catching it - they'll likely lose it (the hand that is... ;))...

Thats pretty much the argument I gave them. A. Be prepared to lose a few fingers if you get bit maybe the whole hand if infection really kicks in.B. Be prepared to be shredded by the claws, they're not just for show and C. who'se going to be getting whipped by the tail? Offered to hit them with a stock whip if they wanted to feel what it would be like. Suprisingly no takers.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back