Hey hey people

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UhHiLol

Reaction score
Hello! I’m new to this forum. I’m looking to buy my first Woma. I’m in the process of putting together the enclosure and I’m interested in a bio active setup. Any tips?

Welcome to Aussie Pythons and snakes! Desert animals aren’t exactly the best for bioactive. The desert is very different to the rainforest so the things that make your standard bioactive enclosure for your gecko bioactive won’t work in a desert themed build. Springtails and slaters ( isopods) are animals that love to live in damp leaf litter on the forest floor where it is constantly wet. You would struggle to find such a place in the middle of the desert.

Also snakes aren’t the best candidates for bioactive builds. Sure there are some snakes where it is beneficial for them to be in a bioactive enclosure (Green tree pythons, common tree snakes, brown tree snakes, etc) but snakes tend to be heavy and can crush the plants (and woman’s are on the heavier side of snakes) which are an essential part of bioactive enclosures. Springtails and slaters aren’t what make a bioactive enclosure. The plants, substrate, slaters and springtails together make the enclosure bioactive. You can’t have one without the other in a bioactive enclosure. The aim of a bioactive enclosures is to make a natural ecosystem in a box.

Another issue with having plants in with a woma is that womas dig. A lot. They construct vast tunnel systems in the wild. And a woma digging would upset the roots of the plants. And a good substrate that will hold burrows will not be the best substrate for plants to grow.

However that does not mean you can’t make a naturalistic enclosure. A naturalistic enclosure is an enclosure where you try to recreate an animal’s natural habitat to the best of your abilities.

For a woma I would suggest an enclosure that is long and wide with a deep substrate that will hold burrows. A good substrate would be a mixture of coconut coir, sand and crushed granite.

I hope this helps, have fun with your woma!

Hello! I’m new to this forum. I’m looking to buy my first Woma. I’m in the process of putting together the enclosure and I’m interested in a bio active setup. Any tips?
Hello, any updates? Hope you already have your first Woma.

Back