Holy frikkin woodies!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flaviemys purvisi

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
My outdoor ex wheely bin woody colony is now 9 years old... it goes through cycles... I've noticed at intervals, usually once, maybe twice a year there's barely any winged adults to be found and I have a billion juveniles... I was out almost 2 hours ago while the sun was atill up collecting baby woodies for the purvisi hatchies and noticed the colony is once again bursting at the seams... population explosion...
20201221_182423.jpg

Just went out in the dark to take a look...
20201221_193137.jpg
Yeah... got a few ay...
20201221_193147.jpg

Those egg cartons weigh like a kilo when picked up... they're so full of roaches... crazy.

My outdoor ex wheely bin woody colony is now 9 years old... it goes through cycles... I've noticed at intervals, usually once, maybe twice a year there's barely any winged adults to be found and I have a billion juveniles... I was out almost 2 hours ago while the sun was atill up collecting baby woodies for the purvisi hatchies and noticed the colony is once again bursting at the seams... population explosion...
View attachment 330389

Just went out in the dark to take a look...
View attachment 330390
Yeah... got a few ay...
View attachment 330391

Those egg cartons weigh like a kilo when picked up... they're so full of roaches... crazy.
That is a lot of cockroaches.

apparently winged woodies only have a short time left but have already dropped the oothica (egg)
[automerge]1611383450[/automerge]
My Woodie tub is doing pretty well too. Probably should split them into two tubs actually. Getting a bit crowded in just the one.

View attachment 330450
you need to put some egg cartons on their side to create space and let the frass drop down to the bottom. Much easier to catch some bugs
[automerge]1611383699[/automerge]
Hey Kev, if your bin is 9YO and you've never cleaned it out it must be full of frass by now, you've probably only got a few inches of bugs at the top. I just cleaned out my 50l tub, 2 inches of frass after 2-3 months

Last edited: