homemade incubator prices

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

python_guy44

Reaction score
HEy ppl,
i was wondering if you guys thought $300 is a good price for an incubator that is made out of a fridge which can hold 10 clutchs. he is going to make me one and he tells me that fridges are excellent to convert into incubators as they are air tight and can hold many many eggs. I am tending to agree but i would like some more other sorces of help. I dont trust my self enough to make my own one :lol: .

I have decided nopt to get from from reptile barn, URS etc. as there ones cost just as much and can hold not even half the eggs a fridge can.
This wont be an amature job. It is from a guy that builds reptile enclosures and is a good herper really :D He has built incubators out of fridges befor aswell so he know's his stuff (well i think he does)

cheers, jeremy

If my conversion rates are correct, sounds pretty reasonable. If you would, could you describe it's workings a little. What I'm curious about would be like, how it's heated, what's controlling heat, air circulation, and that kind of stuff.

yeah i agree with almaron, what source of heat does it have? will it have a fan for circulation?
also ten clutches?? of what... geckos or pythons or what?

Te mostecspensive part of my incubators is my 2 thermostates.
The main with a 1 degres drop in temp cosy $152 the second back up which shuts down the whole unit incase the forst one fails cost $120 so that is $272 the fans cost $31 each and heating cost $20 that is without the incubatore box and lining.

Fridges are good!!

but u can have the best incubator in the world but if you get the egg substrate ratio's wrong you will have problems.

On average it has cost me $450 for my 1st incubator,large 2 cost $600 each
so on average you could be looking around $500

Just make sure you to lots of test runs and don't pressume you will loose eggs.

Darin

its a full sized fridge with 5 shelves made from original refridgerator shelving to allow circulation of air between mesh.it will use either heat tape on top bottom and rear wall or 2 light globes on top and another 2 on bottom depending on what I want to use.it will also have a computer fan as used to keep motherboards in PC's from overheating.the unit will fit 2 incubating containers per shelf which should be good for a clutch of 25-50 eggs per container no worries.i can also get a viewing panel installed on the front door which is made of perspex and is sealed tightly to stop heat escaping (at an extra cost).And the heat source is run off a probe thermostat.

is this enough info guys

the incubator is being built by John Field from John's Aussie Reptiles www.geocities.com/johnsaussiereptiles and he has garunteed quality work at an affordable price.

My fridge incubator only cost about $20 all up( i get all my wiring and fittings for nothing) i built it myself and i've hatched hundreds of lizards in it over the years and have only lost 3 eggs(yes i kept count) mine is only a small fridge so i only use it for lizards.
I reckon for a big incubator it's hard to go past a big esky, wired with a fan and 2 globes on a themostat they work brilliantly. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back