Honda or KTM? Help please guys!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ned_fisch

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for some opinions, peoples experience, ect..
I am saving for a new motorbike, looking for a motocross bike.. Firstly, I am close to having 4g, another month or so.

Now, I know a mate of mine has a special edition 05' model CRF 450, though, never have had much experience on a 450, let alone any bike of that power, I am worried that I will grab it, and not have the fun I am looking for. It's quite cheap but very legit, probably rip my arms off though.. haha

I will be riding a lot of trails, motocross tracks and at times on farms, so a motocross bike will fit for that.

I am also looking at either a KTM SXF 250 or a Honda CRF 250, both in my price range. I absolutely love the look of the KTM, and have found an 07' model fairly cheap, fell inlove with it.. though I'm worried their cheap for a reason. My uncle works at a KTM dealership, he has just fixed a brand new, 2011 SXF 250 that was raced. Only 20 hours on it, Full top end re-build, new parts and all, cost the owner $2200 for parts and labour, very pricey for me.. Though I have heared a lot of mixed answers, great outcomes and terrible outcomes.. What I have read is that the KTM is absolutely great, but have been told totally different. Kind of a luck of the draw, some are good, some just break and keep taking money (hence the name, KTM, maybe?). And again, is it cheap for a reason? the reason of that the seller cannot afford to fix the damages?

I like the look of the KTM a lot, but Honda CRF 250 is a favourite of mine too, had a few Honda's previously. I have seen 07-09 models for 4-6g, so nothing wrong with the price there. I haven't heard much to bad about them. Keep them with new oil and regular filter changes, and there as good as gold. Another thing is (now I am not familiar with engines, though I get this) the unicam engine design, making it easier to work on, so when valves do go, I can easily fix that.
So it's all so confusing, good and bad on both party's.

My uncle also, strongly said, "stay away from Euro's, get a Jap bike"..

Can anybody give me some help thanks?
Do I get the 450CRF, get used to the power, and harden up or risk a disappointment of the bike bossing me around the track? I go to the gym, so the fitness and workout from that will help the riding.

Do I get the KTM or Honda 250? Guaranteed fun and comfortability on the bike.

KTM or Honda is the next question, what's your experiences and opinions?

Thanks a lot everybody!

Seriously Ned, if you're gunna get a bike and want a 4 stroke, don't cheap out. They are to expensive and complicated to fix if you don't know what you're doing. If you get a 2 stroke you can do a top end in a couple of hours without any idea of what you're doing.

Nothing wrong with 4 strokes, but I would seriously get someone who knows about bikes to go with you. 4 strokes are expensive when the rebuild time comes.

As to Honda or ktm, they are both good. Any mainstream dirtbike is of extremely high quality, go with what you like, just don't buy chinese.

Regarding size and power of the bike, a 250f will be fine for ya. You don't want to be on a rocky hill climb with too much torque, you'll flip the bike and end up trashing it.

Blake Williams won x games gold on a 250f and they flip over 100ft in 3rd gear, granted their bikes are fairly worked but a gearing change is all you need for various disciplines.

IF you want a 450, my best mate is selling a ktm 450 sxf that's in excellent condition, he's a great rider and looks after his bikes extremely well. If you want I can give you his number, just send me a text. I think he's after $4,700.

Last edited:
if you look at brand new prices, KTM's are a damn load more expensive than hondas, and for good reason too. THEY HAVE ALL THE GOOD STUFF ON THEM.
Serious moto x'ers go and buy a ktm, and race it in a national competition the day after. they are set and ready to go. hondas are the next greatest thing in the world, very reliable, very easy to fix (2 strokes are anyway) and a very comfortable ride. they are built as more of a weekend worrior. will do the job just perfectly if your not planning on chasing the QLD champions time :D

oh and just remember.... if your on the gold coast, do ALOT of research to where you can ride LEGALLY! I work with the park rangers and we have had repeat offenders lose their bikes completely cause of ignorance and devastating wildlife and threatened plant damage.

Thanks Trent, great help.
My dad is very good with motorcycles, he knows what's what, ect.. So I have someone to help me know if something is warn out or a great buy. And once I do have a motocross bike, I know my dad will be getting me to fix problems by myself, so I don't mind working on a 4-stroke, build up experience and confidence with the bike. Also, I know a fair few mechanics. So that's a good, will always find help there.

I never thought of hillclimbs, so a 450 I don't think I'd enjoy, as I will e doing hillclimbs a lot too. I have been riding for a bit over 10 years, so no lack of experience. I know I will definitely handle a 250f, as I have ridden a few and loved it, just wasn't sure on a 450, but now, I think not. I have ridden a EXC 300, a number of times, but I don't think that's quite similar to a 450.

Dad wants me to get a 4st, and I'd rather that to. My only worry is about KTM's and if their a very expensive fix, and do the damage easily, or are Honda's much the same. But I guess, I'm not out there thrashing it like a race bike, so a KTM would be fine also.

I know definitely to stay away from Chinese bikes.

Again, thanks a lot :)
My personal preference would be KTM, I love the look, always have.. But it comes down to what's available when I have the money.

Honda all the way. I have ridden both, any KTM had allot of power, to much for me. The honda is perfect, you can even get 4 strokes now with a power ban but its called power bomb I think. But i like the look of KTM's. The only reason i havent got one is i cant find any that are 4 stroke.

i personally have a yz125, yz250 and a yz450 i love the 2 strokes but in near future ill be saving for a 2012 KX450F...kawasaki have come a loooong way and are finally having there time to shine :)

Honda all the way. I have ridden both, any KTM had allot of power, to much for me. The honda is perfect, you can even get 4 strokes now with a power ban but its called power bomb I think. But i like the look of KTM's. The only reason i havent got one is i cant find any that are 4 stroke.

Lol... A powerbomb is a pipe made by FMF for 4 strokes.

A powerband is just the rev range in which an engine makes it's power. If you over rev an engine, it drops off the power curve.

NED - one thing to look at that I should have mentioned... If you can try and scrape up the cash, get a newer 250f with fuel injection.

Regarding ktm's being set up to race out of the box, it's not quite true. ANY bike is good enough to hit the track out of the box but not even a ktm can jump on a track and win just coz it's a ktm.

Regarding reliability and things - Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki AND KTM are all EXTREMELY reliable. Go with what you honestly like, otherwise if you had the money for the bike you want and get something you don't want, it will bug you.

KTM's are jus as reliable as any other bike and they come with Wp suspension and all the nice goodies, but are more expensive to repair. Not saying the difference is enough to not buy the bike, just think about it. Also realise if you look after the bike you won't need to repair it too often.

When rebuilding a 4 stroke you'll need specialty tools, so look into that before you try to tear it down the first time.

Go the Honda mate, spend the extra money that would of on ktm and get a good exhaust and the suspension done. You won't be disappointed. :D

Go the Honda mate, spend the extra money that would of on ktm and get a good exhaust and the suspension done. You won't be disappointed. :D

Where is he gunna find the cash when buying a used Honda as opposed to a used KTM to get a full exhaust - header and silencer AND suspension set up for him?

The exhaust is $1200 give or take from pro circuit or FMF and the suspension can be $1200 before you even change anything on it, just to get it professionally set up?

You don't need suspension mods if you're just riding casually and not hitting ramps, just ride the bike and if you feel like it, adjust the compression and rebound. Keep the stock settings in mind though, and only adjust one click at a time.

If you're not hitting ramps or riding anything specific you should be able to find a happy medium with all the riding that you do, and im sure the stock set up will feel fine.

Even stock bikes have been hitting ramps continuously without a problem.

Yeah, this morning I have been looking at 09/10 model CRF250's, and their the fuel injected models now, aren't they? If I do wait and gain the extra cash, 2 months and i should have 6-7grand if all things go well.

from 2008-2010 Honda's are the only other bike other then Suzuki that are fuel injected at the moment, right? I know the KTM and Kawasaki are now, but there the brand spankin' new 2011 ones.

Correct. You probably don't like them man, but the RMZ's are fuel injected from 09 in the 250f and they are weapons.

I am pretty sure kxf's were fuel injected last year and perhaps the year before, but that was the 450's.

If you can get an EFI model that would be the go for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back