Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Borris+Natasha

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Gday Folks

I have wondered if i have an enclosure big enough, can i house a terrestrial species and an arboreal species together. Im assuming they would inhabit different niches within the enclosure. im just wondering if anyone has ever done it before and recorded inter species fighting?

Thanks Folks
Tom

I have not heard of anyone doing it I guess the cost of loosing one or more stops people from trying, I'd be interested to hear of anyone does though, good Q

I've heard of people doing it but I wouldn't recommend or do it myself.

I have wanted to try thick tails with golden tails but havent been game to try yet

I have and still do keep two arboreal species together, Gehyra australis and Stophururs ciliaris. It should be ok if there is enough space for both, both have the correct conditions supplied and species that will not fight are used (DO NOT TRY THIS WITH NEPHRURUS).

Would you think S.Ciliaris and Taenicauda would be able to co habit?

Last edited:
Would you think S.Ciliaris and Taenicauda would be able to co habit?

Well I would first be interested in making sure ciliaris did not vary in any captive requirements based on subspecies, preferably using those from nearer range to taenicauda? But if their requirements are similar enough, and I have only kept ciliaris of the two so I do not know. Yes I think it plausible they could co-inhabit. Of course I have heard plenty of times of the same species of gecko having trouble being kept together, including from some ciliaris. One can only assume then that it may depend strongly on the individual gecko and caution should be taken.

I have and still do keep two arboreal species together, Gehyra australis and Stophururs ciliaris. It should be ok if there is enough space for both, both have the correct conditions supplied and species that will not fight are used (DO NOT TRY THIS WITH NEPHRURUS).

sounds interesting.

i guess you can give it a shot if both geckos have the same requirements.
you could try maybe christinus marmoratus and a gehyra species?

Thanks GP I don't think i'll ever try it anytime soon to risky imo, Cheers again ;)

The thing to keep in mind with keeping ciliaris and taenicauda together is that they can crossbreed. Temperature, humidity and other requirements is not an issue.

I once put a deformed juvenile ciliaris in with my ringtails, it didn't end well for the ciliaris......

The thing to keep in mind with keeping ciliaris and taenicauda together is that they can crossbreed. Temperature, humidity and other requirements is not an issue.

I once put a deformed juvenile ciliaris in with my ringtails, it didn't end well for the ciliaris......

Simply because they are in the same genus does not mean they are capable of cross breeding or even likely to attempt cross mating. Unless you have hard evidence of this having actually occurred I would be reticent to postulate it as a likely posssibilty.

I am not the least bit surprised that a juvenile ciliaris did not fare well with a ringtail. The latter are arguably our largest gecko and aggressive by nature. Smaller geckoes are part of their diet in nature. You would only but expect it to end that way.

Borris + Natasha,

In mixing any to species of lizard together there are a few things to consider. The environmental conditions that each requires is one. The natural diet of each is another. Aggression, particularly towards other lizards of the same or different species, is critical. Dominance displays towards other lizards of the same or different species is also important.

Research on the natural disposition and diets of the different species is obviously critical. Some of the potential for negative interactions can be ameliorated by ensuring that the lizards are of the same size. There are plenty of different species of geckoes that I believe would probably get along just fine together. There are others, no way would I trust. However, until someone actually tries it, we will never know for certain.

Bottom line… do your background research because there are some risks worth taking and some that are obviously not. By the way, I did keep an Oedura robusta with a number of O. lesueurii for a couple of years, no dramas at all.

Luv “Rocky and Bullwinkle”!!!

Blue

Simply because they are in the same genus does not mean they are capable of cross breeding or even likely to attempt cross mating. Unless you have hard evidence of this having actually occurred I would be reticent to postulate it as a likely posssibilty.
I have seen the progeny from the crossbreeding of a female ciliaris and a male taenicauda, the results were an attractive little animal, looked like a ciliaris except for the fact that it had very "spotty" coloring and a solid yellow/orange line down it's tail.
I am not the least bit surprised that a juvenile ciliaris did not fare well with a ringtail. The latter are arguably our largest gecko and aggressive by nature. Smaller geckoes are part of their diet in nature. You would only but expect it to end that way.

That was the whole idea of putting it in there, to kill off a seriously deformed hatchie but not wasting his nutritional value, I also occasionally feed the ringtails pinky mice.

You can keep lots of things together if;
a; you know what you are doing (ie don't need to ask to find out) and
b; your enclosure suits all the occupants.
I have kept Nephrurus milii and Phyllurus platurus together, and I kept them with a variety of large skinks, they all lived fine for years together in a large outdoor enclosure, geckos were never fed by myself and lived off what they could catch, they bred naturally and the babies were often found around the yard ( both species were found around the area anyway as I backed onto bush).

A friend of mine kept Oedura tryoni and Oedura robusta together (all females) whilst another kept Strophurus williamsi and Nephrurus milii together with no dramas at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back