How big should a 9 month old darwin carpet be?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CjLeveille

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys
Im new to owning a python and new to forum. I was wondering how big (roughly) should a 9 month old Darwin Carpet be? I got a fella not long ago. 1 month or so ago. He has fed once and shed once. His shed was 70 cm. He hadn't fed again for last 3 weeks with the shed being after his first feed with me. That was roughly 2 weeks after I got him home and settled. It was a weener mouse and I gave since thrown away 4 weener mice he hasn't been interested in. I'm a bit worried he is too small or not eating regular enough. Any help appreciated

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210823-193234_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210823-193234_Gallery.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 25
Hi CjLeveille
When they shed, the old skin stretches so measuring it is useless. How quick they grow depends on how their fed. I would try moving him onto fuzzy rats or larger. 3 weeks without food is nothing to them. Make sure your temps are suitable and be patient , good luck.

If it's any help, i put my snakes next to a retaining wall out front, ( any straight edge will do ) and sort of gently shepherd them up against the wall until they are as straight as possible, then mark the ground right next to their nose and tail tip. Then measure that. Not perfect but close enough for me.
Cheers

If it's any help, i put my snakes next to a retaining wall out front, ( any straight edge will do ) and sort of gently shepherd them up against the wall until they are as straight as possible, then mark the ground right next to their nose and tail tip. Then measure that. Not perfect but close enough for me.
Cheers
hey that's a good idea, I'll try that for sure. So I think he is only around the 50-60 cm then is that really small for a 9 month old
Darwin? cheers.

No, it's hard to say how big a 9mnth old should be, their all different, and it depends on how much it has been fed in the past. If temps and everything else are good, i would just give it more time, and try to get it onto rats. These days my 3 tell me when their hungry, through their behaviour and body language. You will learn to read it before long.

As big as a piece of string.

Nah, it depends how often you feed. If there’s something I’ve learnt it’s dont compare to others. If yours is healthy in weight and is 3’ long but Joe Blows is 4.5’ long at the same age big whoop, he probably feeds it a bit more, or keeps it hotter, or simply genetics. Doesn’t mean anything’s wrong with your way or what you’re doing, doesn’t mean hes better :)

As for not eating for a few weeks - we got a hatchie coastal which came with a feeding log, after we got it it decided “nah” to food for 3 dang months! It’s good now.

Latest posts

Back