How do you control temps for a larger collection

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ameliasark

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I have what I consider to be a decent collection of 9 reptiles (probably not really a lot considering the awesome collections a lot of people on here have but for me and what I can responsibly house/afford at the moment this is a lot lol) - I house 8 out of 9 of my animals in one room with one double power outlet. All heaters/lights for each enclosure feed off separate thermostats plugged into 2 power boards/extension cords. It's important to me to have everyone on a thermostat since I am out most of the day and cannot reliably stay on top of temps without them.
Anyway to get to the point all of these thermostats plugged into powerboards plugged into extension cords make me uncomfortable, although I'm cautious not to exceed the voltage rating of my outlets and have surge protectors installed I was raised in a very fire-safe household and my ex-firefighter dad would freak if he saw my current set up haha.
Just wondering how people with larger collections monitor the temps for all their setups. Do you do it manually with a temp gun? only have thermostats on certain animals? Or does anyone know of a thermostat with multiple outlets that could connect to more than one hotspot?

cheers in advance for any tips :)

It also depends on what kind of animals you keep, I would not keep frogs or low temp.reptiles without a thermostat but my bluetongues are kept without and in summer sometimes too hot and winter often too cold, like in nature, and if a heatwave is coming (rare in Denmark šŸ¤£) I just unscrew the heatspot for the period.
I am a trained electrician and all my tanks run on the same plug/outlet,šŸ™„ one timer and a lot of extentioncords, just buy good quality extensioncords, even if you have multiple outlets/plugs in the same room they normally run on the same fuse so if you use too much power it's them that get too hot

It also depends on what kind of animals you keep, I would not keep frogs or low temp.reptiles without a thermostat but my bluetongues are kept without and in summer sometimes too hot and winter often too cold, like in nature, and if a heatwave is coming (rare in Denmark šŸ¤£) I just unscrew the heatspot for the period.
I am a trained electrician and all my tanks run on the same plug/outlet,šŸ™„ one timer and a lot of extentioncords, just buy good quality extensioncords, even if you have multiple outlets/plugs in the same room they normally run on the same fuse so if you use too much power it's them that get too hot
haha ok this puts my mind at ease a little thanks a lotšŸ˜‚
totally forgot to put the species in, currently got 3 carpets, 1 antaresia , 2 strophorus and 2 eastern hooded scaley foots on this outlet :)
(one northern bluey in the spare room because i ran out of space lol)

Mmm... Easy to calculate to total max load, do not exceed the rating for your outlets (typically 10A each in Aussie homes) ... If you don't know how - get a (domestic certified) sparky to check. That way, even if everything is on at the same time, it won't cause you any problems (btw, I'm not a sparky nor qualified to advise you on this).

Latest posts

Back