How does breeding loan generally work?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bingera84

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have been asked a few times about breeding loans.
I have a male tri coloured albino Darwin and have been asked a few times if I people can use him on there female albino.
So how does it work in terms of costs etc.

I have heard if they take your male to their place to put over their female and they do the incubating you should get one of the hatchies or equivalent in $$. Does this sound fair?
What is the general deal if they bring over their female and you put your mAle over their female, I do the lot incubation and all the feeding of hatchies once hatched...what is a fair deal for both of us that way?
Thanks for any advise

Unless you know the other person extremely well, avoid breeding loans at all costs.

If you quantine like you would normally with any new snake there should be no problems

Keeping quarantine issues out of it,

a 50-50 split usually has one of the parties feeling hard done by, because someone does most of the work.

A 33% split keeps the peace. 33% for the owner of the male, 33% for the owner of the female, and 33% for the one who houses them for the mating and incubating of the eggs.

But out as others have said, everyone is a risk these days.

Avoid at all costs...... but if you do, generally you split the clutch in half and both do the feeding trials with half each no matter who incubates. But from prior experiences from 12 yrs ago avoid it at all costs as it never pans out as you want it to.

What is a tri colour albino?

I wouldnt mind seeing the snake too.

I have done well with breeding loans in the past, however after the recent storys on how people have been stung.
I wont be doing them again. If your snake is considered high quality, and you really are after the money. Buy a female and breed yourself.

Risky business, but if you do, 50-50 all the way. takes two to tango. Split the young when born so each person feeds their own. I wouldnt do a breeding loan thou.

i have read of peoples own family members refusing to give back the reptile they borrowed as a breeding loan.

i was asked recently if i would be willing to loan one of my pythons for breeding, i asked if they would be willing to put down the amount she is worth in cash and wen i get my snake back they get the cash back and they refused, so i refused to loan them my python.

i prefer to breed myself and not worry about loans and how many hatchies i will get.

I wouldn't risk sending your animal off to someone for a breeding loan, if they where 100% interested in breeding they should do the hard yards like everyone else has to and buy a male and breed it themselves same goes to you to. that may sound harsh but going from a bad experience I went through in 2011 the deal was 50/50 even though it was my pair and I sent them down to Brisbane all up costing me $680 return. deal went sour and they where friends of mine for a good 3-4 years over the net, I never met them in person but I trusted them enough to agree and send my pair to them. come hatching they posted pic's on facebook and then said they where all dead on pipping which me proving this year that that was a load of bull...I got no babies and they almost didn't send my pair back even though I had already payed for there flight.

I don't think its worth the money if anything happens, its a easiest way to destroy a friendship over money.

so much easier to buy a female yourself and keep your friendships.

Keeping quarantine issues out of it,

a 50-50 split usually has one of the parties feeling hard done by, because someone does most of the work.

A 33% split keeps the peace. 33% for the owner of the male, 33% for the owner of the female, and 33% for the one who houses them for the mating and incubating of the eggs.

But out as others have said, everyone is a risk these days.

But you can't keep quarantine issues out of it! The prospect of picking up an always fatal virus that has an incubation period of 12 months or more, is very real indeed. If you're prepared to believe the word of someone you barely know, who has the objective of getting something from you, without fully knowing the history of their animal/s, you've got rocks in your head. The prospect of disease is, by itself, enough to count breeding loans out of the question... unless they are prepared to lend you their animal, for you to quarantine, for an absolute minimum of 12 months.

Jamie

But you can't keep quarantine issues out of it! The prospect of picking up an always fatal virus that has an incubation period of 12 months or more, is very real indeed. If you're prepared to believe the word of someone you barely know, who has the objective of getting something from you, without fully knowing the history of their animal/s, you've got rocks in your head. The prospect of disease is, by itself, enough to count breeding loans out of the question... unless they are prepared to lend you their animal, for you to quarantine, for an absolute minimum of 12 months.

Jamie
You are very right in the risk of a virus but I am sure that if someone knew they had a virus in their collection that they would not be chasing a breeding loan. My moto is never lend anything that you can't afford to lose , whether it is money , or material possessions or even a reptile although mine are more pets than possessions so there would be no loaning out of mine.

The problem, Andy, is that these things have such a long incubation period that they may very well not know the disease is present in their animal/s. There have been spontaneous outbreaks of these viral things (Sunshine?) in collections that have had nothing new, in or out, for 3+ years. In MOST, but not ALL cases, it will manifest itself within months, but I guess if you're into risk-taking with your prized collection, then a breeding loan is worth the risk. I wouldn't consider it without a minimum of 12 months controlled quarantine.

Jamie

The problem, Andy, is that these things have such a long incubation period that they may very well not know the disease is present in their animal/s. There have been spontaneous outbreaks of these viral things (Sunshine?) in collections that have had nothing new, in or out, for 3+ years. In MOST, but not ALL cases, it will manifest itself within months, but I guess if you're into risk-taking with your prized collection, then a breeding loan is worth the risk. I wouldn't consider it without a minimum of 12 months controlled quarantine.

Jamie
Yes Jamie I understand that there is the problem of unknown spreading of disease but I may have misread your first post as you saying that someone knowingly having a virus chasing breeding loans. # years, wow I did not realise that there had been this period before. Is there another way like a keeper coming into contact with someone else's infected python that may be the more likely way of infecting the collection? I guess that buying a jag that is showing signs of neuro would be something that would worry a lot of people then, I hadn't really thought about that before.

Jamie

My post was poorly worded. I meant to of said, "The quarantine issues aside.......blah blah blah"

Everyone knows the days of breeding loans are gone for snakes. I was just giving my thoughts how the split should be done.

It's not high quality albino...just a standard one. The normal tri coloured orange, yellow and white ( albino). If it was that easy to get ahold of an adult female albino I certainly would have one already.
It really doesn't sound worth it too me, I was curious of how it worked. And clearly it doesn't haha
I might avoid breeding loans .
thanks everyone

Breeding loans have their place - but there is the inherent risk of not receiving your animal/s back due to injury/death/theft. I've taken ownership of snakes with a future clutch or two to be split for payment. I will also be planning in the future for perhaps one or more of my snakes to be 'fostered' out for the required periods of time under a breeding loan. However it will only be to people who i trust implicitly and know they will do right by me and the animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back