How often should a hatchling carpet python shed?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mac_everingham2000

Reaction score
My 6 month old carpet python first shed was on 1/1 2022 and her second shed was 16/3 2022 roughly 11 weeks I have got told they shed every 6-8 weeks is it bad that she had a late shed?

6-8 weeks is an extremely rough figure. When growing up Pythons of that age I usually have them sloughing about every 4-6 weeks, sometimes every 3 weeks or so. 11 weeks is on the long side for a Carpet that age but it's not a particular concern if you're happy to grow it slowly. If you feed more it'll slough more frequently.

They shed when they need to, young ones will shed more often as they grow. As a rule of thumb Adults will shed 3 to 6 times a year so the experts tell us...... But....... I find it varies depending on a few factors but I have had them shed a couple of weeks apart. It is a natural thing for them and unless your python is having incomplete sheds, you should not worry. If the shed is incomplete, it will probably be something to do with husbandry issues. It pays to check the shed to make sure the eyes have shed. It could be harmful if the Snake has what is called Retained Spectacle, you need to know what you are doing to remove them, usually it is a Vet visit.

They shed when they need to, young ones will shed more often as they grow. As a rule of thumb Adults will shed 3 to 6 times a year so the experts tell us...... But....... I find it varies depending on a few factors but I have had them shed a couple of weeks apart. It is a natural thing for them and unless your python is having incomplete sheds, you should not worry. If the shed is incomplete, it will probably be something to do with husbandry issues. It pays to check the shed to make sure the eyes have shed. It could be harmful if the Snake has what is called Retained Spectacle, you need to know what you are doing to remove them, usually it is a Vet visit.
A vet visit for a retained spectacle? Wow. Each to their own I guess, but I'm surprised if there are many people wanting to keep snakes who wouldn't be involved enough with them to deal with basics like this themselves. Generally people don't even notice and they just come off with the next slough, but it's an easy thing to remove if you want to. Even when working in collections with hundreds of snakes I usually only have to do two or three spectacles per year (snakes in good health in appropriate conditions rarely have the issue, though I do sometimes end up spotting and removing them in collections I visit), and I might have removed more adhered spectacles from wild snakes than captives (usually on wild snakes it's caused by ticks etc and they'll have multiple spectacles built up).

A vet visit for a retained spectacle? Wow. Each to their own I guess, but I'm surprised if there are many people wanting to keep snakes who wouldn't be involved enough with them to deal with basics like this themselves. Generally people don't even notice and they just come off with the next slough, but it's an easy thing to remove if you want to. Even when working in collections with hundreds of snakes I usually only have to do two or three spectacles per year (snakes in good health in appropriate conditions rarely have the issue, though I do sometimes end up spotting and removing them in collections I visit), and I might have removed more adhered spectacles from wild snakes than captives (usually on wild snakes it's caused by ticks etc and they'll have multiple spectacles built up).
I was saying this to someone who is not experienced, also those who are squeamish and can't or won't do anything about it. You are right though the Retained Spectacle should come off in the next shed, new owners would panic and often do because it is an unknown and I would hate them to try do it themselves and damage the animals eyes. I thought it important to advise to inspect the old shed skin to check to make sure it all came off. A vet is the best place to learn, and keep the animal healthy.

I was saying this to someone who is not experienced, also those who are squeamish and can't or won't do anything about it. You are right though the Retained Spectacle should come off in the next shed, new owners would panic and often do because it is an unknown and I would hate them to try do it themselves and damage the animals eyes. I thought it important to advise to inspect the old shed skin to check to make sure it all came off. A vet is the best place to learn, and keep the animal healthy.

I'm willing to agree to disagree! Each to their own but if I couldn't handle something like a retained spectacle and required a vet to teach me (generally they'll teach you nothing and will tell you to keep coming back for even the most trivial thing because it makes them money er they care about your animal) I wouldn't be keeping snakes or any other animal.

6-8 weeks is an extremely rough figure. When growing up Pythons of that age I usually have them sloughing about every 4-6 weeks, sometimes every 3 weeks or so. 11 weeks is on the long side for a Carpet that age but it's not a particular concern if you're happy to grow it slowly. If you feed more it'll slough more frequently.
Hi @Sdaji When you say feed more, do you recommend feeding more in the same feeding (ie for me it is once per week) or feed the same amount of food more often, like twice per week?

My question is in regards to a childrens python not a carpet

Hi @Sdaji When you say feed more, do you recommend feeding more in the same feeding (ie for me it is once per week) or feed the same amount of food more often, like twice per week?

My question is in regards to a childrens python not a carpet

I'm not really recommending anything. I personally generally feed youngsters (Carpets, Children's and pythons in general) every 4-7 days depending on various things including what's most convenient for me at the time. Whether you feed 20% more often or 20% larger feeds (or 10% or 30% etc) makes little difference as long as you're not pushing any crazy limits (ridiculously large feeds for example, or extremely little feed in total meaning most of it goes into metabolism etc rather than making more snake) - the main relevant thing is the total amount of feed you're putting into your snake. For the most part it's a case of more feed in makes more snake, and the % rate of conversion of feed to new snake weight is reasonably consistent. I'm not going to tell you what to do; your snake your choice.

Latest posts

Back