How often to feed a 2 year old snake?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camila

Reaction score
How often do I feed a 2 year old Murray darling python? I’ve been feeding her every 7 days as told from the pet shop but she’s started to look chunky (like she gets those folds when her body is curved) and I don’t want her to be obese.
I’ve read that adult pythons are to be feed every 10-14 days, is my python regarded as an adult?

i feed my adults when i want to, usually 2-3weeks a 200g rat, sometimes 1-2months, no real maths behind it. Do not think that you are harming your snake, they can easily go 6mths+ with no food. 99% of captive snakes are overfed really

sounds like your pet shops taking you for a ride, if they tell you to feed more often, you buy more food = they make more money

Classic pet shop tactics

Oh thank you! I’ll start feeding her every 2 weeks, see how it goes! :)

Tbh
If you’re worried about her weight, just drop the feeds altogether for a couple months since we are going into winter in a couple days
Ok thank you! I will do that, her scales are a little separated at her thickest part so I think she definitely needs her feeds cut down.

You don't need to be regular in your feeding schedule was Blazes' meaning. Feed at varying intervals, monitoring the condition of the animal. A hungry snake will move more and be healthier in the long run. Vary the size of food and the type of food if possible as well.

Latest posts

Back