How To Add "illegal" pets to licence so they are legal

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jen_179

Not so new Member
Reaction score
So my cousin recently died and I was given ownership of his two velvet geckos. My only problem is that no one can find his license details and I suspect he may not have had one. Does anyone know what I can do to declare them on my license?
Thanks guys

As far as I'm aware, theres no formal process. Your best bet is to contact your states licensing body and talk to them about it - if he did have a license they may be able to find it for you and help you out. If he didn't have a license I would think theres little they could do, although you never know they may have some sympathy for your situation, but the most likely outcome (at least in my state) is that they would try and confiscate them and euthanise them. Any proof that they were bred in captivity would probably help your case here, things like a pet store receipt from when the geckos were bought or the breeders license. I'm sorry to hear about your cousin, hopefully things work out with the geckos.

As far as I'm aware, theres no formal process. Your best bet is to contact your states licensing body and talk to them about it - if he did have a license they may be able to find it for you and help you out. If he didn't have a license I would think theres little they could do, although you never know they may have some sympathy for your situation, but the most likely outcome (at least in my state) is that they would try and confiscate them and euthanise them. Any proof that they were bred in captivity would probably help your case here, things like a pet store receipt from when the geckos were bought or the breeders license. I'm sorry to hear about your cousin, hopefully things work out with the geckos.

I'm in Victoria so I cannot tell you the actual process however as @Jen_179 is in NSW, I know they do have a process in place,

So Jen,

Just follow this up with the office and they should be able to add the geckos to your license.

Other NSW members know the exact process, I don't. But I have heard multiple times from NSW members here that it can be done.

Best of luck with your new friends and condolences on your loss.

@personalisedtote

I hope this doesn't come across as rude or dismissive in anyway but just try to be careful when answering questions that you are certain of your response so as not to mislead members, I think we are all guilty of this when we first start out as we want to get involved and offer as much help and advice as possible. I've done it, I think most of us have at some point, it's just some people only read the first response and may not hang around to read further comments leaving them with wrong information..

I know you are trying to help and get involved which is great but giving false information as well intended as it may be, may defer more experienced keepers from getting involved and this is a detriment to us all, especially when it comes to behavioural advice and licensing.

Once again, I'm genuinely sorry if this sounds rude or dismissive, I love that you get involved and I hope you are not offended.

@personalisedtote

I hope this doesn't come across as rude or dismissive in anyway but just try to be careful when answering questions that you are certain of your response so as not to mislead members, I think we are all guilty of this when we first start out as we want to get involved and offer as much help and advice as possible. I've done it, I think most of us have at some point, it's just some people only read the first response and may not hang around to read further comments leaving them with wrong information..

I know you are trying to help and get involved which is great but giving false information as well intended as it may be, may defer more experienced keepers from getting involved and this is a detriment to us all, especially when it comes to behavioural advice and licensing.

Once again, I'm genuinely sorry if this sounds rude or dismissive, I love that you get involved and I hope you are not offended.
All good, not offended! that why I always write things like "as far as I'm aware" - I don't know everything, but I still believe my advice to contact whatever licensing body of whatever state they're in stands. I was strongly under the impression that an animal has have some proof that it hasn't been taken from the wild and that if this cannot happen they would be euthanised or raffled off, but if i'm wrong then I apologise. I've been on this forum long enough to know people will swiftly correct you when you're wrong, I think misinfo actually attracts the responses of experienced keepers more than it defers it, point in case.

All good, not offended! that why I always write things like "as far as I'm aware" - I don't know everything, but I still believe my advice to contact whatever licensing body of whatever state they're in stands. I was strongly under the impression that an animal has have some proof that it hasn't been taken from the wild and that if this cannot happen they would be euthanised or raffled off, but if i'm wrong then I apologise. I've been on this forum long enough to know people will swiftly correct you when you're wrong, I think misinfo actually attracts the responses of experienced keepers more than it defers it, point in case.
Thank you for understanding, like I said, it's great that you get involved.
I wish more people did and that we could have more discussion,

In theory you are 100% correct. If we do provide misinformation, more experienced keepers should jump in and correct us however reality has shown this isn't always the case and most times people ask a question, take the first response, and never return which is not the ideal outcome for the animal as you could understand.

Like I said, I'm just as guilty as the next person, in fact it was this exact question that caught me out. Haha.

Thanks again for understanding.

Thank you for understanding, like I said, it's great that you get involved.
I wish more people did and that we could have more discussion,

In theory you are 100% correct. If we do provide misinformation, more experienced keepers should jump in and correct us however reality has shown this isn't always the case and most times people ask a question, take the first response, and never return which is not the ideal outcome for the animal as you could understand.

Like I said, I'm just as guilty as the next person, in fact it was this exact question that caught me out. Haha.

Thanks again for understanding.
So just to be clear, there is a formal process for making an illegal animal legal? You don't need proof of it being captive bred?

no, just luck of the draw when you contact them
Thats the impression I was under, I thought you would just have to call and hope for the best, maybe I'm misunderstanding what part of my answer was misinfo. Either way, I apologise to Jen if i've made this hard time more confusing than it needs to be

Thats the impression I was under, I thought you would just have to call and hope for the best, maybe I'm misunderstanding what part of my answer was misinfo. Either way, I apologise to Jen if i've made this hard time more confusing than it needs to be
me too, if he didnt have a license (including the geckos on license), the geckos are likely to be euthanised as they arent "common" species like a blue tongue or a carpet python.

Latest posts

Back