?How ya worm a Snake?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

playwell

Reaction score
Hello all! :eek:

Got another Q? :oops:
How do you "worn" a SNAKE.
Ive heard it mentioned a few times and am wondering how it is done.

YEH I know I'm a naive newbee.

Ya don't learn if ya don't ask!! Right? :roll:

we just wormed our coastal last night...got some panacur from the vet and apparently the dose is 2ml per kg which we injected into a mouse and fed to her :)

hope that helps!

I use wormrid also. It does have a use by date on the bottle so if you buy it get one in date. Also panacur will not treat all parasites, i wouldn't use it by itself as it wont get them all.

I don't think you should routine worm a snake. Would you take an aspirin in case you get a headache tomorrow? Treat symptoms not fears I say :)

Re: RE: ?How ya worm a Snake?

africancichlidau said:
Treat symptoms not fears :)

Is that your's Afro???

Or did you pinch it from someone???:twisted:

Either way, it's good. I like it.

:p

Hix

RE: Re: RE: ?How ya worm a Snake?

Interesting theory.....I think there are a few holes in it though. I would not wait for the symptoms of tetanus before I got a booster shot for example.
My snakes get wormed every 6 months. I lost one snake to worms, I don't want to ever lose another.

Greebo - What where the snakes symtoms?

How do you know if they have got worms? What are the symptoms?
Tourett

Greebs old mate I was in no way saying you were wrong in your methods just offering an alternative viewpoint :)

I am no expert but i think a very good sign to look for to see if you snake has worms is if it regurgitates it's food and the item has worms all over it.

By far the easiest and most acurate way to tell if you need to worm your animal is to take a fecal sample and either have it tested or test it yourself. CB animals should but not always be relatively worm free if fed frozen / thawed mice as the freezing process ( i freeze for 6 weeks ) will kill the living worms and any eggs, so i have been advised.

I have been told by vets in the past that no amount of freezing can kill worm eggs, they will always be able to hatch. And not every faecal examination will show signs of worms, you need to test several.

the vet used one in a wide pink bottle...i'm pretty sure its a reptile wormer cos i know i've seen the bottle before. anyone know the one im talking about? and if its plain panacur or a specific herp wormer like worm-rid?

I prefer to get my feeder rodents checked for worms once every year.
If they have no worms, I reckon the snakes have none either.

Re: RE: Re: RE: ?How ya worm a Snake?

OuZo said:
the vet used one in a wide pink bottle...i'm pretty sure its a reptile wormer cos i know i've seen the bottle before. anyone know the one im talking about? and if its plain panacur or a specific herp wormer like worm-rid?

That sounds like panacur to me .Thats what my bottle looks like .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back