Humidity for Stimson Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

princess_tiarna

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I recently purchased a Stimson python and after doing some research, I was under the impression that the humidity in its enclosure should be less than 50%. Is this correct?

For some reason, the humidity in the enclosure has spiked and is now sitting at around 63%. When I first had my snake in the enclosure it was sitting at around 35%-40%. I haven't changed anything in the past few days so I don't know why the humidity has risen.

I have increased the ventilation in the tank and switched to a smaller water bowl, but I am still getting readings at around 60%. The only thing I can think of that is attributing to the change is a change in the weather. It has been slightly more humid where I live, but I make sure to open the windows near my enclosure.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, I am having the same issue and also have a Banded Pygmy Stimson. The humidity goes between 30-50%. I can not seem to get it over 50%. What can I do to bring the humidity up in the enclosure? Currently, the heated side is around 31-33 degrees. Am I doing something wrong? :(

Substrate, different types hold water better or worse. Court peat (non fertiliser one from bunnings cheap and great for holding humidity, just DO NOT add the full amount of water, just bare minimum to break it up) then when I refresh his water every few days I make sure some of the substrate (just like 1/5th of the tank area, not under either hides as you'll have them develop scale rot if they're always on it) is still damp, if it's not I dump some of the water in it. Deeper the substrate level longer it will hold humidity.

When they're in shed pour some water in the substrate under their hot hide (not much just a little) and will make that hot hide a natural little humidity box for them so she'd perfect.

Obviously both these things are a bit more time consuming so if you have a large collection and not much time might not be ideal, but for smaller collections that you frequently access I find it easiest. Oh and make sure not TOO much airflow as that will instantly dry out your substrate and you'll be constantly adding more water)

What can I do to bring the humidity up in the enclosure?
You could try a "humid hide" in conjunction with a dry warm hide and a cool end dry hide, it's an extra hide, but that's a positive IMHO, more options for the snake. My snakes have heaps of hides, most have like 4 or 5 if I want, they use them all at one time or another.

Latest posts

Back