Hungry snake.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colonel

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
G'day there.

My 8 month old Black Headed Python is growing bigger. I've had him all of 2 months and he's become accustomed to his tank and the feeding routine. I place the fuzzy rat on a piece of drift wood in the tank, and he knows to go there to feed. The last 2 times he has fed, he has gone back into his hide for a minute or so and come back out to investigate where I placed the rat. It seems as if he's looking for another meal. Is there any way to know when to up his food intake?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi Colonel
A black headed python at 8 months should be on bigger than fuzzy rats I would be going to at least a weaner or hopper hard to say without picture but if it was to be to big which I very much dought it will not take it

Hey colonel,

I agree with Tony, your BHP should be on much bigger meals, at 9 months my girl was eating the same size med-large rats at my adult diamond python, what you should be looking at is approx 1.5x the thickest part of the pythons body as a growth meal, then scale back to 1x or less as a mature adult maintenance meal.
Continue to increase the meal size as they grow.

BHP grow fast and huge, be prepared to increase the size of the enclosure faster than you expect.

best of luck

Latest posts

Back