Hungry snek

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mack86

Reaction score
Well, I think it may be time to up my food size. I fed my guy tonight and he doesn't appear to have a visible lump like he normally would (and did have, only just last week) and he is also still out and about "hunting" sitting in an attack pose, tracking me and appearing to still be hungry.

Based on those two things would it be suggested I get him onto a larger feeder? I know thats the answer but being that I'm still new to this it's always nice to get that confirmation from someone a bit more experienced.

Thanks guys

Edit: admin you can delete thread if you like, checked this morning and he has quite a big lump, I just couldn't see in the dark too well šŸ˜…

Seeing as this thread is still here I'll comment. We've upsized to hoppers now which is a huge deal considering our very slow start. I'm pretty happy.

Now that he is on a larger feed should I space out the feeds a bit longer than once a week? Or is it best just to judge it based on the individual snake?

Last edited:
How old is he? My sunglow Darwin is small for her age (13 months) due to being a slow starter and Iā€™m feeding her every 7 days at the moment. Every 7-10 is common.

He's just turned 12 months. I think he's on the smaller size for his age but I do know that the Stimson's grow slow...
I think I'll just read his behaviour because I've noticed he "hunts" and is out and about lots when it's coming up to feeding time. I'll try keep to 7-10 days šŸ˜Š

Bear in mind that snakes are fed a lot more often, and certainly more regularly, in captivity than they are in the wild. Extending the time a bit between feeds and not sticking to a regular time period is therefore not going to harm the snake in any way. I like your idea of watching its behaviour and feeding when you think it is actively searching for food. Whether that means one week between feeds, or even double that, does not really matter.

Latest posts

Back