Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShepQLD

Reaction score
Ive just spent twenty minutes on hold to the QLD EPA, had to hang up as I only have a mobile phone ($$$!!)... Ive searched their website, searched on my actual lisence but I dont see anything that clearly tells me what I want to know! my question is this.. (and it may sound silly but I really want to make sure Im doing the right thing here as I am hoping to add to my reptile family again soon and already have two snakes so wanted to know if I need to 'upgrade' my licence)

what exactly does a recreational wildlife licence cover?

It does say that you can only have two restricted species, but Im wondering if by "restricted" they mean venomous, imported or endangered? or do they just mean anything you need a licence for?

Im completly confused here and prepared to look like an idiot to find out the correct information LOL. paper work is NOT my thing at ALL! lol

even if someone can just give me a link to more information Id be most appreciative!!
Thanks all :)

what licence do you have now ? basic licence?
what are you lookin at getting ...

this is what i've been told - you can keep 2 advance reptiles, and as many normal class reptiles as you want on a basic QLD license?

and by advanced they mean you can keep a total of 2 womas or gtp, or one of each. if you want more or plan to breed you need to update your licence.

otherwise any other python you are not restricted by numbers.

you can not keep any vens on the rec permit ...you need a restricted license to keep vens along with reffs as well .

advance reptiles as in green tree pythons you can keep 2 of them on the rec permit .

yes 2 womas or 2 GTP - but if you want to breed, you can't lol you need to upgrade your licence.

I believe there is another type of permit for vens.

ok, im not sure exactly what type of licence it is :S but under 'conditions of approval' it says 'conditions for: keeping all live controlled, commercial and recreational animals.'
it then says underneath 'additional information: - a amximum of 2 restricted birds may be kept under this licence'
'additional information: - a maximum of 2 restricted reptiles, other than reptiles of the families elapidae, hydrophiidae or lacticaudidae, may be kept under this licence.'

Im assuming its a basic licence? I did talk to them about covering wild life in care at the time I applied but Im pretty sure that was way to complicated and I decided just to stick to going under the blanket permit with an organisation again if I got back into wildcare :S cant quite remember what the outcome was to be honest lol.

so I guess the question is what classes as restricted? :S

at the moment I have a Stimson and a Diamond, Im thinking about ideally getting another of each as soon as these two are old enough to have probed (thats a fair way way off yet though and alot of research still to go), but my main reason is that I am quickly falling in love with Jungle's and would love to get one!!

"a standard recreational wildlife licence for reptiles and amphibians (which ALSO allows keeping of a maximum of 2 restricted reptiles or amphibians OTHER than dangerous reptiles eg. reptiles of the families Elapidae, Hydrophiidae and Iaticaudidae)"

You may keep as many recreational reptiles as you wish (as long as you care for them correctly) and are restriced to a maximum of 2 restriced reptiles. You may not keep any of the reptiles of the families Elapidae, Hydrophiidae and Iaticaudidae on this type of licence.

A list of restriced reptiles for QLD are below: (this information is taken from http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/register/p01389aa.pdf)

Restricted reptiles or amphibians​
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]
The following reptiles are restricted reptiles:​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
Common name
Scientific name​
The following reptiles of the family Elapidae —​
black snakes​
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]
Pseudechis​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]spp [/FONT][/FONT]​
broad-headed snakes​
[/FONT]
Hoplocephalus​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
brown snakes​
[/FONT]
Pseudonaja​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
Collett’s snake​
[/FONT]
Pseudechis colletti​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
copperheads​
[/FONT]
Austrelaps​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
death adders​
[/FONT]
Acanthophis​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
eastern small-eyed snake​
[/FONT]
Rhinoplocephalus nigriscens​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
rough scaled snake​
[/FONT]
Tropidechis carinatus​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
taipans​
[/FONT]
Oxyuranus​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
tiger snakes​
[/FONT]
Notechis​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
The following reptiles of the family Hydrophiidae —​
all species​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
The following reptiles of the family Laticaudidae —​
all species​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

All threatened or rare or near threatened reptiles other than the following —​
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]reptiles of the family Cheloniidae
[/FONT]
[/FONT] 
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]reptiles of the family Dermochelydiae—
[/FONT]
[/FONT] 
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]freshwater crocodile
[/FONT]
Crocodylus johnstoni​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]saltwater or estuarine crocodile
[/FONT]
Crocodylus porosus​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

All rare or threatened amphibians are restricted amphibians.

I hope this clears things up a little

LOL you guys answered my questions before I finished my reply! Thanks for your help! much appreciated! waaaaay better then spending twenty minutes on hold for no answers! lol :D

so I guess the question is what classes as restricted? :S

at the moment I have a Stimson and a Diamond, Im thinking about ideally getting another of each as soon as these two are old enough to have probed (thats a fair way way off yet though and alot of research still to go), but my main reason is that I am quickly falling in love with Jungle's and would love to get one!!

yes your licence is a basic recreational. so any number of pythons, up 2 womas, or 2 gtp or 1 of each, no vens.

you can upgrade to keep more restricted pythonsor or unrestricted (special endorsement) with the right references etc which allows you to keep any number of pythons and vens.

oh dear perhaps I shouldnt have found that out after all.... LOL someone could have warned me that snakes are something that once you fall in love with your HOOKED! lol I can see me in ten years with incubators and raising youngin's, breeding rats and mice for food (which I once did for PETS... and actually remember once telling a guy he most certainly could NOT have a litter of rats for snake food... what a hypocrite I am! LMAO)

thanks again for your help people, this is THE number one site help, advice and support!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back