I know they do it from the front but I've never seen them do it from behind.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BeZaKa

Reaction score
So like the yeti and the loch ness monster I've heard the rumours about snakes eating rats from behind, tail first. Until today I had never seen it. My new boy BHP had his second feed with me today and took two fuzzy rats the first tail first the second head first. None of my others have ever taken one tail first.I just may be easily impressed so I took a pic to share.

Attachments

• 20130627_190352-1.jpg
    20130627_190352-1.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 207
My woma almost always eats his rats backwards. I have tried offering them to him head first, to no avail. He will grab them, lazily throw a couple of coils around it then let go and work his way down to the hind legs. Now I just leave them on the heat tile and let him be. But then he does do a few things differently. :)

I always thought it was rare but the longer I spend on here the more I realise it is actually common. Wait until he is on large rats and decides to suck one in sideways, It can get rather messy lol

I always thought it was rare but the longer I spend on here the more I realise it is actually common. Wait until he is on large rats and decides to suck one in sideways, It can get rather messy lol

Really??? Have you seen this done?

My woma almost always eats his rats backwards. I have tried offering them to him head first, to no avail. He will grab them, lazily throw a couple of coils around it then let go and work his way down to the hind legs. Now I just leave them on the heat tile and let him be. But then he does do a few things differently. :)

The weirdest thing my woma has done is grab it by the tail drag it around for a while than eats it always head first though.

My other woma like to ply with his food some times. He smashes it against the wall of his enclosure or hide, just to make sure it is dead. Lol. Quite interesting as that is what they do in the wild, smash their prey against their den walls.

Maybe Aspidites in general, like to do things a bit differently. :)

the first small rabbit my woma ate, started with 1 of the back legs, then fold the other back leg along side the body, then head last.

the first small rabbit my woma ate, started with 1 of the back legs, then fold the other back leg along side the body, then head last.

I must just need to get out more often:D I've never seen it done.

Really??? Have you seen this done?

Yeah my MD has done it once, Unfortunately I was that intrigued and disgusted by the mess it left that I didn't get any pics. The rat sort of exploded as it folded in half :( My small Bredli quite often eats her rats backwards probably more often that she eats them head first.

Yeah my MD has done it once, Unfortunately I was that intrigued and disgusted by the mess it left that I didn't get any pics. The rat sort of exploded as it folded in half :( My small Bredli quite often eats her rats backwards probably more often that she eats them head first.

I want to say both Eeewww and AWESOME at the same time:shock:

Found some old pics of my Uluru eating backwards.
5ysudene.jpg

uhety3yj.jpg

And some newer ones of my other woma playing with his food. He smashed it a few times on hos rock hide and then a few more times on the sides of his water bowl.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1372331044914.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1372331044914.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 106
  • uploadfromtaptalk1372331083083.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1372331083083.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 98
  • uploadfromtaptalk1372331117064.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1372331117064.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 98
Found some old pics of my Uluru eating backwards.
5ysudene.jpg

uhety3yj.jpg

And some newer ones of my other woma playing with his food. He smashed it a few times on hos rock hide and then a few more times on the sides of his water bowl.

Wow there you go. Great looking Womas RedFox. Thanks for sharing your pics. I love your enclosures, did you build these yourself? They look great.

Last edited:
bredli.jpgbredli 3.jpgbredli 2.jpg

this is how my bredli eats, side ways.

wen i first read the title of this threat my mind wondered off lol.

Last edited:
Wow, that is weird. I thought they always ate head first because of the fur. My Spotted has tried to eat tail first and sideways but always sorted itself out after a while

Wow there you go. Great looking Womas RedFox. Thanks for sharing your pics. I love your enclosures, did you build these yourself? They look great.

Thanks. I think they are lookers. Yep made and built everything myself. The first two with my wona eating backwards are an old enclosure I had in Vic and others are my recent cabinet conversion I did.

Saintanger, that is pretty awesome. Great pictures and good to see its not just the aspidites that are weird. :)

Wow, that is weird. I thought they always ate head first because of the fur. My Spotted has tried to eat tail first and sideways but always sorted itself out after a while

Same here, must be a full moon out:)

Thanks. I think they are lookers. Yep made and built everything myself. The first two with my wona eating backwards are an old enclosure I had in Vic and others are my recent cabinet conversion I did.

Saintanger, that is pretty awesome. Great pictures and good to see its not just the aspidites that are weird. :)

Kudos to you I am very jealous I just dont have that sort of skill. Credit to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back