i need some help on picking a first time snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclebarry

Reaction score
hey everyone
i’m going to be getting a snake within the next year and i’m aware of the commitment but i wanna know any suggestions of calm snakes that don’t mind being handled often, fella would need to be legal in victoria of course and i’d rather a medium sized snake, nothing too massive but probably something not too small, any advice too would be very much appreciated,
Thanks!

Hey mate! Great to see some up and coming reptile enthusiasts! This place is an awesome community and we are always here for any of your reptile questions :) my suggestion for a first snake if you want something simple and not big would be a spotted python, they stay small, look beautiful, and don't mind handling. Hope this helps! :)

hey everyone
i’m going to be getting a snake within the next year and i’m aware of the commitment but i wanna know any suggestions of calm snakes that don’t mind being handled often, fella would need to be legal in victoria of course and i’d rather a medium sized snake, nothing too massive but probably something not too small, any advice too would be very much appreciated,
Thanks!

It probably depends on what you are looking for in a snake as well, but one option I'd suggest you run your eyes over for consideration are Woma Pythons.

Ours is an absolute darling of a thing. And what a great personality too. Some people don't like them because they don't "act" like what they perceive normal snakes should act like. For us - that's one of the draw cards... the 'silly' personality that we see from time to times even had my wife (who was not keen on us having a snake, but was willing to be tolerant) very quickly change her tune and calling it "cute", and now wanting to hold her as well when we have her out.

They grow to a mediums size - respectable but nothing a beginner will get themselves in trouble with. They're known for having a strong feeding response (which can be good for first snakes in that you shouldn't have feeding issues... although we still did). Some can be cage defensive, but normally as soon as they're out of the cage is docile as - and don't mind being handled at all. Others, such as ours - are docile even in the cage, if we want to get her out, reach straight in with bare hands and just lift her out.

I've seen only a handful of youtube video's with defensive Woma's having a go at their owner, and after seeing the lack of respect towards their snake they were willing to blatantly show on the internet - doesn't surprise me that the snake would be defensive with them, I'd probably bite them too. ;)

In Vic you can get them straight up on a basic license with no other experience.

We were suggested to get a juvenile snake so we could learn as she grew, and be easier to handle yet again (no fear of striking when they're that young), so by the time she gets bigger we have lots of experience, plus have a greater understanding of her individual personality.

Other suggestions above are good too - so my advise is check all these out, research the different traits, sizes, etc of each and go with whatever best suits your taste.

I agrre with the above suggestions. Spotted grow to about 4', woma's a little bigger, and then diamonds bigger than that. But most of them are reasonably placid, (no gaurentees as some can be pricks, like any pets) we have them and others, plus lots of smaller ones

I agree with group, Diamonds are absolutely gorgeous animals, such beautiful patterns, and a great medium size snake,

Murray Darlings tend to be similar size, slightly longer and much more bulky bodied animals, their darker colours make for a more menacing looking face even though they tend to be gentle by nature,

Womas are a different breed all together, I don't have personal experience with them but I do have a black headed girl and she is a great snake, totally different in nature and appearance to a carpet python but that's half the fun.

The final suggestion I would throw in, the classic beauty, the Darwin python, very gentle nature, on the smaller side of the carpets and arguably some of the most beautiful natural colours.

Overall, don't be too concerned by the size of the animal, by the time it is an adult, you would have had plenty of time to learn his or her own "personality" and behaviour and how to handle most situations, my honest suggestion, find an animal you like the look of and based your decision on that, then take advantage of the groups and internet and ask a million questions to help you navigate your way through

Note: there are always exceptions to the general nature of pythons and our behaviour and actions can also affect their behaviour so if unsure, ask.

Good luck and I look forward to meeting your new friend.

I agree with the others who have suggested Spotteds or Diamonds. Spotteds are the biggest Antaresia, and are the classic first snake. They're typically docile and easy to handle. Diamonds are a bit bigger, but if you handle them regularly from the time they're young, they grow up to be very easy-going.

Latest posts

Back