I need some help!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gadeszy

Reaction score
Hello!

I am Currently 16 and am starting to get interested in snakes... (also a newbie)

I’m trying to find a Decently small snake that doesn’t eat rodents and legal in Australia. If anyone could tell me some so I could do some more research would be great!!!

thank you so much

Colubrids eat fish, aren't massive but are flighty and can be aggressive. Not great for handling. Check this out: https://www.amazingamazon.com.au/colubrid-care-sheet

Or a legless lizard (technically not a snake but...)
Practically all snakes eat rodents, you'll be pushing your luck.

Thank you, I just don't feel comfortable feeding rodents as i've owned mice before... plus i dont want a massive one :>

Thank you, I just don't feel comfortable feeding rodents as i've owned mice before... plus i dont want a massive one :>
Fair enough.
What about lizards? They're mostly insectivores and some can be super great to interact and handle (beardies and blue tongues are great beginners!)

If you're just starting out, you've never kept a snake and you don't want to feed a snake rodents, you're probably best off not getting a snake. You might like to get a large python and feed it chickens or something, but all the easy snakes to keep are almost always fed rodents.

Almost all Aus snakes will eat rodents if you feed it to them, just a heads up on the following: you buy feeder rodents frozen, on trays just like steaks, in case you were worried about it, in general there is never any reason to feed live food.
There are also alternatives such as frozen jap quails if you can't deal with mice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back