I terrified my snake :(

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emoly

Reaction score
My cousin didn't want his stimsons python anymore so I took it last night.

While setting up the cage I had him in some glorified tupperware but it was still really cold so I thought I'd put him in the cage with my other stimson. I knew this new snake was disease free and hadn't interacted with other snakes, both are 3 years old.

This was obviously very dumb as my stimmy came over to investigate and lost his ****, flying across his cage. I removed the new snake immediately but my main guy is not chill.

He was even wagging his tail rapidly back and forth and continued banging into the side of the cage. It's been 24hrs and he's still not happy in his cage.

I lifted his rock to have a look, he normally slides right up my arm, instead he fled again with more tail wagging.

He's the most beautiful, sweet snake and I'm worried I've screwed him up.

The other snake is happy in its now clean cage and couldn't care less about the incident. Happy as a clam.

Should I just leave my main snake alone for a few more days? We usually chill every night as he boops the glass for attention and to escape.

Hi, I am only new myself however, reading from a few breeding and herpetology websites;

Introduction of an intruder snake leads to stress- due to the need to protect territory and/or establish a "pecking order".

It will be several days till he settles down again. Leave him as alone as you can. Dont open the enclosure for a couple of days at least if you can avoid it. He's freaked out by the new kid on the block and where that leaves him in the heirarchy.

I think. There's others more experienced than me.

Last edited:
Hi, I am only new myself however, reading from a few breeding and herpetology websites;

Introduction of an intruder snake leads to stress- due to the need to protect territory and/or establish a "pecking order".

It will be several days till he settles down again. Leave him as alone as you can. Dont open the enclosure for a couple of days at least if you can avoid it. He's freaked out by the new kid on the block and where that leaves him in the heirarchy.

I think. There's others more experienced than me.
Thanks for the reply, that makes sense!

Just for kicks I did some further reading;

There's these people who can keep a pair together quite happily apparently;

https://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/threads/two-stimsons-in-one-enclosure.174614/
Although you will notice that a few people say its not recommended

And then regarding the cousin to the A. Stimson, the A. Childreni we have this;

https://www.vhs.com.au/keeping-reptiles/childrens-python/
Which makes the suggestion about males establishing a Heirarchy and also suggests that Males may chase females (but this is about Childrens not Stimsons; however they are both Antaresia so possibly share some traits).

Are you definite that both are males? Either way I think your original python wants the place to itself for a while

Hope he feels better soon!

Sounds like they're both male and your resident male is concerned that an interloper is challenging him.

He should calm down soon, as someone said. It's normal for them to have tussles over mates and territory.

And to anyone wondering after the topic was raised, Stimson's and Children's are the same species. I've been saying it for decades and they were recently scientifically reclassified (at long last). In this respect they are no different.

Sounds like they're both male and your resident male is concerned that an interloper is challenging him.

He should calm down soon, as someone said. It's normal for them to have tussles over mates and territory.

And to anyone wondering after the topic was raised, Stimson's and Children's are the same species. I've been saying it for decades and they were recently scientifically reclassified (at long last). In this respect they are no different.
So it's true?

https://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/threads/stimsons-pythons-no-more.227973/#post-2540785
Will one of the Antaresia names be discontinued?

Just for kicks I did some further reading;

There's these people who can keep a pair together quite happily apparently;

https://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/threads/two-stimsons-in-one-enclosure.174614/
Although you will notice that a few people say its not recommended

And then regarding the cousin to the A. Stimson, the A. Childreni we have this;

https://www.vhs.com.au/keeping-reptiles/childrens-python/
Which makes the suggestion about males establishing a Heirarchy and also suggests that Males may chase females (but this is about Childrens not Stimsons; however they are both Antaresia so possibly share some traits).

Are you definite that both are males? Either way I think your original python wants the place to itself for a while

Hope he feels better soon!
Thanks again! He stuck his head out of the hide to look at me today so that's progress. I'm not sure if either is actually male since they haven't actually been sexed I can only assume by what the aquarium told me and my cousin, tall length and look of the tail.
[automerge]1621159485[/automerge]

That makes sense, thanks!

Also super interesting about children's and stimsons being one species.

This second snake looks like the Wikipedia poster child for children's python and is a good 20cm smaller.

My 2 male coastals and (suspected) male bredli have their own seperate enclosures in my dinning room they spend most of their time in, and i never put one snake in anothers enclosure . But i also have a walk in aviary set up out back i sometimes put them all in together for a few hours every 2 weeks or so in the warmer months. At first the younger, smaller bredli seemed a little nervous of the other 2 and i watched them closely just in case. But the 2 big boys hardly seem to pay any attention to him at all, and i guess he soon realized they don't plan on eating him as now days he just climbs all over them and will even curl up and rest on top of them . I will always keep them apart during mating season and for feeding. But the rest of the time they seem to get on fine.

Latest posts

Back