Identification and pics...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sorry to dissapoint you fellas but the two pictures are of the same lizard so make up your minds lol...

I really like the snake pictured last and i really wanna know what it is, anyone have any idea??

Ether,

Little tip i picked up after years of photographing in zoos - if I didn't already know the species or reptile, bird, mammal, or whatever it was I was photographing, I would take a photo of the label or graphic accompanying it.

As a result, I have a rather large slide collection of labels and associated graphics. But as I have always been interested in labels and graphics in zoos, this wasn't a major problem because I was usually photographing labels - and enclosures - as a matter of course.

:p

Hix

Have emailed the reptile house at the zoo and attached the pics. Should have a reply in a day or two (if he can work out the computer). They have no Brachylophus. The only green lizard they have is Varanus prasinus. Looks like the first photo has just caught the lizard at a bad angle, coz that snout doesn't look very varanish to me either.

Hix

Ok, OK! I conceed! LOL!

I agreed that the 2nd looked like V.prasinus, but if you looked at the one picture above as I did originally, you could never say that it looks like a varanid, still if Ether says it's the same lizard, that it is. Photography lessons for christmas for you. LOL!

Marc, I appologise for doubting your wisdom in Lizard Identification, I will stick to snakes in future. :wink:

Neil

Ether,
The snake pictured last in this thread looks to me like what is called a Paradise Tree Snake. These guys "fly" and do it with incredible style. Not sure if that's what it is but looks alot like it.

Simon Archibald

Simon_Archibald said:
Ether,
The snake pictured last in this thread looks to me like what is called a Paradise Tree Snake. These guys "fly" and do it with incredible style.

Style?

All the footage I've seen of Paradise Snakes is hardly stylish. They just loop themselves up and throw themselves off a branch. They tend to flap around abit while falling before crashing onto an unsuspecting branch.

Maybe you saw slowmotion footage Simon? I'll admit, slow-mo makes them look a little graceful.

Hix

But it doesn't fly!!! :D:D:D

It just throws itself off a tree where it falls at an angle, it flaps a bit which apparently gives it some limited control over direction before landing in another tree. :D:D:D

Hix

If I threw you off the top of one tree and you crashed into another, I daresay you'd have more style than a Paradise Tree Snake.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
(Note obligatory smileys to indicate I'm joking, and not taking this argument too seriously.)

Hix

I would have more stlye mate...what can I say, other than I'm brilliant ;-)

And as for your obligatory smileys...thanks, but I didn't even know it was an argument :)

Simon Archibald

Yeah, but there are others on this site that take things a little too seriously sometimes.

Was just covering my ****.

Hix

I have had a response from London Zoo.

The lizard is definitely Varanus prasinus. (The keeper wants to know what Ether did to it in order to make it look like an iguanid in the first photo!).

The snake you have posted further down (Pic 1010110) is a rather fat Boomslang Dispholidus typus.

And in your gallery, Pic 1010141 is a White-lipped Viper Trimeresurus albolabris. It can't be seen in the pic, but the tail tip of this light green viper is bright red.

Hix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back