I'm hoping to get a GTP! Any tips?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Barmy

Reaction score
Are GTPs aggressive? I know they have longer teeth than most pythons but are they okay with being handled? What size enclosure is necessary? I have heard something about a 'fragile stage'...? Any other useful info?

I haven’t personally kept a gtp but from what I’ve read they are delicate as hatchies/neonates, they can’t be fed as big a meal as carpet pythons

They can be more bitey than other species but it’s not always the case. Every individual is different

They require higher humidity than other carpet species.
They also spend most of there time perched so a tall enclosure is preferable over a long one

(If any of this info is incorrect feel free to correct me, I’m here to learn)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks! The humidity won't be a problem since I live in NQ!

There are better qualified GTP people on here than me but personally I find my GTP's very calm and non aggressive but they are all sorongs. All GTP's are very delicate and require a high standard of husbandry, if things are not absolutely right you will have serious health problems. They are not a snake to handle and prefer to spend most of there time in the classic perched position and to unwind them forcibly is not a good idea, I remove my perches with the snakes in place while I do any cleaning etc. Before you consider getting one read and absorb the book "The more complete chondro" and be aware that most GTP's in Australia are of unknown heritage and the different types can require quite different conditions as to heat and humidity, snakes of tropical Indonesian origin are different to sub tropic Australian animals.

There are better qualified GTP people on here than me but personally I find my GTP's very calm and non aggressive but they are all sorongs. All GTP's are very delicate and require a high standard of husbandry, if things are not absolutely right you will have serious health problems. They are not a snake to handle and prefer to spend most of there time in the classic perched position and to unwind them forcibly is not a good idea, I remove my perches with the snakes in place while I do any cleaning etc. Before you consider getting one read and absorb the book "The more complete chondro" and be aware that most GTP's in Australia are of unknown heritage and the different types can require quite different conditions as to heat and humidity, snakes of tropical Indonesian origin are different to sub tropic Australian animals.

Thank you! I guess I have my homework cut out for me!

I looked in to it and during some parts of the year, the temperature inside of my house is higher than the recommended temperature to keep GTPs. Should I install a A/C in the enclosure or would it be easier to keep the enclosure in a room where the temperature can be monitored and adjusted?

*If I do install a A/C in the enclosure I'll make sure it doesn't blow cold air into the enclosure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Humidity.. water bowls on different levels of the enclosure, numerous branches to regulate temperatures.. keep any handling to a minimum and most of all research mate.. I love my pair and have never shown any signs of aggression towards me.. (unless at dusk)

I change up the diet also and try and fluctuate the temps to mimic cairns region etc.. (that can be hard) but over all they are pretty easy if you have the right set up...

And I agree buy the book "The complete condro" bit old but still very much invaluable..

Last edited:
Humidity.. water bowls on different levels of the enclosure, numerous branches to regulate temperatures.. keep any handling to a minimum and most of all research mate.. I love my pair and have never shown any signs of aggression towards me.. (unless as dusk)

I change up the diet also and try and fluctuate the temps to mimic cairns region etc.. (that can be hard) but over all they are pretty easy if you have the right set up...

And I agree buy the book "The complete condro" bit old but still very much invaluable..

4aee65809065ed47e77b289a273af413.jpg

Instagram: murph_BTK

I think there's a newer version called " the more complete chondro " it's a up to date book of the 1st one if that helps any body ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back