Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tatelina

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
So Im wondering through my local supermarket complex, and considering its not very big I get very excited when I see a few tables set up with some Australian reptiles on display... green tree frogs, swordshell turtles (thats what I heard when I asked...not sure if thats a breed..they were so tiny and cute though!!) a few varieties of blue tongue lizards (which looked very cool might I add..different colours that I've never seen before) a lizard that looks like its got two heads (shingleback? :S) some bearded dragons, a few geckons, and a massive diamond python (ok well actually....I have no idea what it was but that was my first guess) and a tiny version of that.

So anyway...I'm drawn to this table like every other little grubby handed kid and non-English speaking person around and have a pat and a feel while these animals FREELY walk around the table while the two elderly caretakers sit back and watch with a slight amusement. When I say freely..I mean a kid screamed and tried to grab a lizard that was walking off the table, and I mean to say that little 4 years old were patting a snakes head that was bigger than their fists like it was a big dog...and trying to pick the horny things off the dragons! :O

I'm all for teaching the general public about our fantastic wildlife and increasing the popularity of herps (cause we all can agree how awesome they are) but when the animals are carelessly left to their own devices and suggestions to a little girl who was squeezing a 5cm wide snake to not do it were relayed with "I felt its bones!" I got a bit concerned.

Now this is the best bit>>>>>>>> Read this.
Some caring older mother asked if they were selling frogs and turtles cause she wanted some for her little child.. "we can put it in the fish tank!" she mused...
The elderly gentleman stood up and handed her a business card and said "no i'm not selling them here but give me a call and we can sort something out....do you have a license?"
"license? what for? where do I get one?"
Elderly gentleman taps his nose: "never mind you wont need one. we'll sort it out" or something along those lines...

WHAT THE?!?!?!?!?!?
This women clearly had no idea about the needs of these animals and was peering at the animals with wonder and disbelief as she was seeing them upclose for the first time. She had no idea about the rules and regulations in New South Wales and this gentleman clearly had no intention of following the rules!

I'm angry at the possibility that reptiles are becoming like Christmas puppies and kittens which are more often than not outgrown and outloved and pushed out of the family once the appeal goes away...
ARGGGH!
*takes a deep breath*

thoughts? similar experiences?
I've have had contacts for 2 people previously to this who were more than willing to sell non native species as pets in Sydney... the risk to our natives is horrible! Ah! I'm going to stop before I rant anymore.

Yeah I would get his details and hand them in to the wildlife authority over there.
BTW - I think it would have been a saw-shelled turtle ;)

Yeah I would get his details and hand them in to the wildlife authority over there.
BTW - I think it would have been a saw-shelled turtle ;)

Hahaha..thanks.

I'm looking at his card now....Not sure what to do...
It would be so easy to stash reptiles around your house when being inspected and he could just deny every selling without recording everything..
however if I called and fibbed about my license and heard what he had to say about that, and see what he offered me..thats a different story.. *ponders*
Whats the fine for trading like that?

Did any one every hear of what happened to the pet shop out near cambletown, i think the owner was Manni Buckly.

I heard on the grape vine that he got caught with illegal reptiles and illegal trading etc.

i dont think its your job to be magnum p.i.
just be a rat and tell the wildlife authority.

I too would be reporting them - I get soo sick of people doing the wrong thing by reptiles. I had a young lady come to me yesterday asking what does a GTP eat. I asked her where she got it and she replied her boyfriend had caught it! I told her to let it go. I have reported to aurthorities - the ranger told me that all I needed was a number plate. In your case you have more info on the sellers.

I would just hand the card to the authorities and tell them the story and let them deal with it, im sure they have got their ways

I would be very surprised if it was a GTP FAR more likely to be a Green Treesnake.

I would just hand the card to the authorities and tell them the story and let them deal with it, im sure they have got their ways

hmm... and what if he gets away with it? grr... mean people everywhere! Stealing things, being dishonest.... some humans are so horrible!! *sobs and hugs blue tongue lizard tightly*

Not sure Boa - you are probably right, that was just the info she gave me. I just hope they let if go.

imo just hand in the card to the athorities. no idea what any of the state wildlife licencing guys do when it comes to catching people who break the rules. hell a simple phone call and a recording device and they would have enough evidence to prosecute or fine him or whatever...

andrew

yeah hand them in to the authoritys, they will probably trick them into selling to them off licence. And then they have them red handed.
they are only going to get the buyers in trouble.

here is my storey.

My cousin had a snake and wanted to get rid of it because it had become aggressive, and new that i was keen to have one. She told me that she didn't have a licence but that all i would have to do is get a licence, and tell NPAWS that she got it off "dudes name". and that there wouldn't be a problem. Well me being nieve i took this snappy snake home knowing that it was undernourished and kept in bad conditions, where it was, and arranged for my licence. By the time i got my licence i'd gotten her healthy, and happy, and explained to NPAWS what had happened. Well its only because i went to them and told them everything in full that i didn't get a massive fine, all i had to do was surrender her. I was very thankful, that i didn't get into trouble but at the same time, thankfull that i didn't leave her were she was. My cousin told me that i had to check her water everyday, because the 'stupid snake' kept knocking it over. She was a 6ft carpet python, and her water bowl was a coffee cup. I knew straight away that i had more idea about the care of this snake then she did, it's a shame that i didn't know the rules of licencing though. I would have just dobbed her in and let them catch her with it instead.
(ps, Claudia (the snake) never bite me once, i guess she could sence that i was trying to help her.

dynea.

Last edited by a moderator:
He will get away with it.....that's if you don't hand the card to the relevant authorities.

Ask them to keep you informed. We all abide by the rules and these other people flout them.

when he said dont worry well SORT IT OUT did you eveer think that maybe he wuld explain it to her and help her SORT IT OUT ?

Tatelina,

Tried PMing you but your PM is turned off. Can you activate it and PM me please?

:p

Hix

Agreeance 100% with Shamous.

If it smells dodgy, if it looks dodgy, and it sounds dodgy- its probably not a rose garden!

I'd give it to the authorities and let them take it from there.

Think of it this way, if you tell the authorities, this guy gets busted, the reptiles will be far better off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back