Incubating beardie eggs..?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol yeah I am probably being a bit overly paranoid, but I'd be devo if the clutch didn't hatch :(

I'll take a photo of the egg tubs this arvo and post them, and you can let me know how I'm doing :lol:

Thanks heaps for all the advice too, I really appreciate it!

My female just layed 14 eggs last night, I got the pair as adults and she has never layed before. I have not experienced hatching eggs before, it's very exciting but scary too! How do you tell a bad egg from a good one, I have a couple that are yellowish? by what was said earlier thats not good I take it?:? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

no probs,happy to help if i can,and yeah i understand u dont wanna lose them,pics would help greatly

Ok, here we go - some new photos I took just now. I hope they look ok :shock: They seem pretty good to me, nice and fat and white :D And they've swelled up somewhat since they were laid.

First pic - the eggs on the day they were laid (about a week and a half ago now):

Eggs3.jpg

Second pic - same eggs, new photo (taken today):

Eggs47Oct.jpg

Third pic - condensation in the lid (sorry, the lid is frosted, you can only just see it):

Eggs1.jpg

Fourth pic - tiny hole for gas exchange (each egg tub has one hole on each side):

Eggs57Oct.jpg

I hope it all looks ok :? I've taken the sponge out of the lids - is it ok to take the lids off every day and wipe the condensation away? The exposure to air won't be bad for the eggs, will it?

If you heat them from above instead of below you won't get condensation on the lids.

I would also put them half way into the vermiculite to stop them being rolled easily, and also put a little mark with pen on top to mark which way up they go if they do get rolled.

Lastly, if you are worried about the medium, make up a new one for them, much easier and more accurate than faffing around spraying or drying out the existing one.

Eggies are looking nice and plump!

Thanks for that Saz.

How do you heat yours from above as opposed to below?

Actually I use heat cord as you can distribute the heat a bit more, but I'm sure a heat lamp would work too.

Sorry to be a pain and ask fifty million questions, but I really want to make sure I am doing this right!! Ok so as most of you know, Phoenix layed 20 good eggs (and 3 bad ones) last night. I have disposed of the bad eggs - they were wrinkled, yellowish in colour and two were leaking a yellow fluid that looked like yolk. The 20 good eggs are plump, firm and white - about 25-30mm in length.

I removed the eggs from her laybox (verrrrry carefully) within about 3 or 4 hours from when they were layed there. I kept all the eggs facing the same way and put them into small plastic containers with about 4cm of damp vermiculite (I mixed it at a ratio of 1:1 based on weight). The vermiculite is *just* damp and clumps when squeezed, although it's a tad crumbly still. Doesn't drip water when squeezed.

I put lids on the egg tubs and each lid has a piece of sponge attached to the underside so that condensation won't form on the lid and drip down onto the eggs. The egg tubs have two tiny little pin holes for gas exchange - one on each side at the very top.

About an hour or two after I popped them in the incubator, I got paranoid - removed the egg tubs, opened them up and candled each egg. I discovered that about 70% of them had the embryo spot facing down into the vermiculite - no idea why! I turned them all the right way up, and put them back into the incubator.

They're now bubbling away at around 30 - 31 degrees. Have I done everything right? Any advice and/or criticism appreciated! This is our first batch of beardie eggs and I reallllly want them to hatch :D

Hi i don't know if you have any buyers for the easterns but could you contact us and maybe we can negotiate it

Hi i don't know if you have any buyers for the easterns but could you contact us and maybe we can negotiate it

Hi, they are actually Centrals (Pogona vitticeps) :D

The first two clutches have been pretty much spoken for, but if she drops another clutch I may have some available closer to Christmas. If you're interested feel free to contact me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back