Incubator materials and methods

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saikrett

Reaction score
What materials do people use and recommend for incubating?
does it vary from snakes to lizards?

what type of incubator do you use?

If you can get your hands on an old Bar Fridge as they have insulation already installed all you need is some heating tape available from www.ultimatereptiles.com.au or www.reptilemart.com and a thermostat.
You can use a vermiculite which is available from Pet Shops to sit the eggs on and just spray with water if they become dry.
That is about all I can help you with.
For any other info you can contact Paul Berridge at: [email protected]
He is reputable breeder that will probably give some more info

I've actally done a lot of 'looking into' of incubators, but have never used a homemade one, so feel free to use or dismiss anything i say as you see fit :)

The only incubator i have used is called a 'hovobator', i used that in the states, but i didnt really like it. the temperature seemed to fluctuate more than it was supposed to/advertised.

I'll build one myself for next time - this is a rough outline on what i've decided after a lot of study/thought :)

As the main material for the incubator i'll use MDF (medium-density fibreboard) for a couple reasons.. 1. you can screw into the end of it (though the hole needs to be predrilled to a decent size - it can split) so no need for a frame. 2. it comes in a few thicknesses - more insulation. 3. - there's a reasonable chance i can get it for free 8)

I'll also probably line the inside of it with styrofoam sheets, as there's nowhere in my house with a reasonably constant temperature.

Door will be on the front, and probably hinged at the top.

The size will depend on how many containers i will have inside it. depth will be the same as the depth of the containers, height enough that the heat source is a fair distance away (1' or so).

Heat tape seems like it would work well, or several low wattage light bulbs.

Probe thermostat, and a probe thermometer or 2 to monitor. insert the probes into the actual egg containers - go off the temp reading on the thermometers, not the thermostat. also another thermostat set at a couple degrees higher, j/i/c... seems like a plan.

half burying the eggs in moistened large grade vermiculite seems to be the consensus for most species - worked for me the couple times i've used it.

ehm.... that seems all the important stuff.. a lot of information can be found in books or on the internet, look around. that's where a lot of my ideas were spawned, sorry for not giving credit, but i've forgot where i've read stuff.

oh also my reasoning behind building my own is this - buying a proper one is sooo expensive heh :)

anything i forgot to say, remind me. right now though, i'm hungry :)

Go to the Herp Shop site and have a look at the paper by Brian Barnett, by the time you've read it you will have all the answers to your questions and more. The incubator described there has hatched thousands of eggs successfully. That said, I found it after I bought a commercial incubator otherwise it would be what I had made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back