Incubator Question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Connor-McLeod

Reaction score
so i recently purchased a incubator and i started testing the temps and see where they sit in comparison to what i had it set to (31c) and noticed that the build in thermostat brings it up 2 degrees higher then the set temp and then drops down to the set temp (31c). so i tested it i put a thermometer in there and let it go for a day and read the max and min, for 31 it was max 33.8 and min was 30.6C and the next day i tried it set to 30 and its results were max of 32.8 and min of 29.9C so my question is what temp should i set it to? This is my first year breeding so I'm not sure what will harm the eggs and what won't.
Thanks for your time Connor.

You don't say what type of incubator or thermostat but if the thermostat is a simple on/off type it will probably go 2 degrees either way before it switches and will be better to have it a bit lower as you won't do any harm at 29c but 33c is too hot.
A well insulated incubator with a pulse thermostat will keep a stable 31 degree temperature.

You don't say what type of incubator or thermostat but if the thermostat is a simple on/off type it will probably go 2 degrees either way before it switches and will be better to have it a bit lower as you won't do any harm at 29c but 33c is too hot.
A well insulated incubator with a pulse thermostat will keep a stable 31 degree temperature.
The incubator is a wine fridge style and it has a elitech stc-200 thermostat witch i bought second hand previous owner said he had a 99% hatch rate but not sure if that was just to get me sold on it, i have other pulse thermostats i will have a bit of a play and see what happens.
thanks you for the reply yellowtail.

Depending on the quality of the thermostat it could be the placement of the incubator. If its in a cool/draughty room it may cool down a little quicker and therefor go past the low setting before the temp starts to rise again.
I normally run 30 +/- 1. Thats being in the knowledge that 31.5 is still ok if it gets a little too warm.
You may find results differ quite dramatically when you have some 'substance' inside the incubator. You could fill some plastic bottles with water to help equalise the temp.

I've had eggs hit 38 during incubation (not for long periods just a few hours) and them being fine so some variation is certainly ok :)
I set mine to 31.5 and they hatch at day 55 :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've had eggs hit 38 during incubation (not for long periods just a few hours) and them being fine so some variation is certainly ok :)
I set mine to 31.5 and they hatch at day 55 :)

Some species are more temperature sensitive than others. Plenty of deformities hatch every year that can be associated to extremes of temperature. I certainly wouldn't ever allow mine to get up to 38 without taking any action.
It also depends at what stage of embryo development, temperature spikes early in incubation can kill the embryo.

Some species are more temperature sensitive than others. Plenty of deformities hatch every year that can be associated to extremes of temperature. I certainly wouldn't ever allow mine to get up to 38 without taking any action.
It also depends at what stage of embryo development, temperature spikes early in incubation can kill the embryo.

Oh it was completely unintentional! And action was taken immediately (I had been at work)
I've never had one hatch with a deformities luckily and would not reccomend high temps like that, but have heard of people running eggs at 32.5 for a quicker hatch rate and last I heard there wasn't issues. But there may have been that wasn't told to the general keepers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm not saying higher temps are always going to cause a problem but problems are more likely.
Consider also the accuracy of the thermometer being used. Often they can be out by 1 degree or more so a dodgy thermometer and incubating at the upper end temps just to try and get early hatchies could lead to a disaster.
Not sure if there is any concrete data to support this but my belief is that incubating at more moderate temps over an extra 3 or 4 days leads to stronger more robust hatchies.

Snake eggs must be a lot tougher than turtle's eggs, most incubate at 27-28 degrees, on a hot day if it starts to climb up above 29, it's time for action. Above 30 degrees and the embryos die. I always had some ice packs ready to cool them down.
20150805_201459.jpg 20150105_161712.jpg 20150105_161726.jpg 20170128_202604.jpg 20170128_202627.jpg 20170128_202654.jpg 20170128_202755.jpg 20150112_151214.jpg 20150112_151223.jpg 20150112_151233.jpg 20150112_151329.jpg 20150208_112956.jpg 20150208_113643.jpg

slightly off topic but what happens when the outside temps are say 38-40C,how do you keep temps normal inside the incubator if you're not home to fix it?
Should you turn off the incubator? and would the outside temps be enough to keep the eggs developing?

slightly off topic but what happens when the outside temps are say 38-40C,how do you keep temps normal inside the incubator if you're not home to fix it?
Should you turn off the incubator? and would the outside temps be enough to keep the eggs developing?
If it's set to be a scorching day and I'm not going to be home, I have the air conditioner set to come on and keep the room at 24 degrees. The incubator will then maintain a constant 28 degrees on its own.

If it's set to be a scorching day and I'm not going to be home, I have the air conditioner set to come on and keep the room at 24 degrees. The incubator will then maintain a constant 28 degrees on its own.
My house is sort of open plan,so this wouldn't work with my portable AC.

My house is sort of open plan,so this wouldn't work with my portable AC.
Chuck a few pedestal fans Infront of it :p (I don’t know if this would work I just thought it’d be funny)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back