Incubators

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the simplest way would be to knock up a box with ventilation, get yourself a probe thermostat, and stick the thermostat probe inside the box with the eggs in it and use light bulbs as the heat source...

IMO you dont want any ventilation.
Something with an airtight seal such as a fridge is perfect or you can make your own out of timber.Also have no ventilation on the egg containers as this will help to hold the humidity without having to top up on water due to evaporation.Opening the incubator & containers daily and giving the eggs a quik fan is all they need for oxygen & to stop mould forming.You should be inspecting the eggs on a daily basis anyways so it is no extra work really.

As for heat,anything that will give the right temps will suffice
(heat tape,heat matts,light globes,ceramic emitters etc).

As suggested use a probe stat and place the probe in the egg containers to monitor the temps...

One thing I've never really though of is what happens when they start to hatch? Like, if you're out and BAM they start to hatch and no one is checking them for a few hour, will the hatched snakes die? How long between slitting the egg and actually emerging?

You should be able to work out the hatch dates, and it won't matter if they are hatching when you are not there, they hatch at different times and sometimes over a day or two,ocassionally longer.
Try to turn the temp down on the thermostat by a couple of degress for the last week, as the egg's produce there own heat as the snake/lizard moves around in preparation to hatch.
So if your incubating python egg's, say carpets then turn down from 90 degrees to 86-88.
Not everyone does this, but I have had great hatch rates in the past using this method.

What species are you going to incubate?
Neil

Me? Or saikrett?

Personally, I'll be incubating carpets, Maccies and whatever else I buy by breeding time next year.

A fridge that has died converted into an incubator with light and temp probe. Got ours in a room that is aircon and each individual snakes clutches in vermiculite in plastic containers and lid. Working thus far fingers crossed

Keep us posted on that Rina have always thought about it but was scared of the electricity bill.
I gather they are in a container on a shelf or something like that incubating from the heat of the air conditioning.

Does anyone use two light bulbs for their fridge??
Building one at the moment is it good for back up.

Most people I know with the fridge type one have 2 or even 3 low (15W) wattage bulbs for that very reason, plus you get smaller drops in temp due to them not going on and off as often.

B

when you make one put an exrtra thermostate on just incase one fails like mine did this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back