"Infertile" Eggs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kitten_pheonix

Reaction score
Just curious to see if this has happened to anyone else,
My partners Pilb's laid its first clutch of the season on the 4.9.13, no visible germinal disk, decided to throw them in the incubator rather than the bin, checked them 2 days later, thought I seen a bit of red developing so left them as is, checked them again today just to see if I was hoping too much, and one had a visible germinal disk and heart beat. (didn't even realise you could see that on eggs too cute)
Does this happen often? or do most people throw them out once after the first check?

It's quite common to miss the veins and germinal disk for the first few days after laying. Most will incubate unless they are yellow and obviously duds.

It's quite common to miss the veins and germinal disk for the first few days after laying. Most will incubate unless they are yellow and obviously duds.

there was definitely no veins in these eggs for the first few days they were clear, we assumed they were duds as it was her first clutch of the season

I had a fine white egg but today it turned yellow and started growing mould. First clutches are mostly duds.

First clutches are not mostly duds! Perhaps the animals are not ready in those cases. I have had 4 clutches from my female Darwin with only one infertile egg and 1 egg death in a total of 59 eggs. I don't look for veins until several days after laying. My girl laid on Tuesday and I candled them tonight - all nicely developing. It is fun to watch them react to light later in development.

Gecko's are different mate. My girls first clutches (ever) have been infertile. Normally I can anticipate the time they come into season and will breed them so after the first season, the first clutches are fertile. But it is very common for the first clutch and even the first clutches of the season to be infertile (or at least 1 out of the 2 eggs are). This is normal, don't stress as they will hopefully lay many more times that year and you can still get up to 6 clutches from a healthy female in her prime.

In my experience (with gecko eggs) the duds are usually pretty obvious, they have a yellowish tinge and are quite soft, so much so that they don't hold their shape when picked up. I used to incubate these eggs just in case but now I dont bother (I candle them just in case).
If I find eggs that are otherwise normal but lack the germinal disc I always incubate them to be sure as sometime the disc is in the process of moving to the top and is not easily visible.

Oops - didn't twig that it was about geckos! Sorry. They are, indeed, a very different situation. Better read more closely....

In my experience (with gecko eggs) the duds are usually pretty obvious, they have a yellowish tinge and are quite soft, so much so that they don't hold their shape when picked up. I used to incubate these eggs just in case but now I dont bother (I candle them just in case).
If I find eggs that are otherwise normal but lack the germinal disc I always incubate them to be sure as sometime the disc is in the process of moving to the top and is not easily visible.

is the germinal disc a red thing on the top? my girl of 8 months laid her first clutch and one of them has a red mark like a little 1cm filled in circle

is the germinal disc a red thing on the top? my girl of 8 months laid her first clutch and one of them has a red mark like a little 1cm filled in circle

Yep thats the disk that shows the top of the egg and that the egg is fertile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back