Information on Australian Geckos

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LennytheGecko

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new to the Aussie Pythons and Snakes Website and I am finding it to be very useful! and the pictures of everyones lizards and snakes are amazing!
I have been searching the net for information about the Australian Speices of Geckos, the Spiny Tail Geckos. I havent found much info at all othere than just a location map, so I wanted to start upa thread just about Spiny Tail Geckos, How do u tell the gender? what is the best inclosure for them? best way to breed them? the assorted colours they come in(i have only seen the plain grey/black colour)? happy to be handled? best food & drink? any information would be greatly appreicated!!! I attached a map at the bottom that has the natural locations of the geckos.
1) Eastern Spiny Tail Gecko, Intermedia.
2)Western Spiny Tail Gecko, Spinigerus.
3)Soft Spined Gecko, Williamsi
4) Spiny Tailed Gecko, Ciliaris.

Please let me know if I got any of the names wrong. I have just recieved a Western Spiny Tail Gecko and would love any information on them. I will post a pic of my encloser and Lenny when I get my camera back :)

Thanks heaps
Lenny the Gecko

Attachments

• gecko, map.JPG
    gecko, map.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 80
all the names you have there are wrong.... lol that was from when they were classed as Diplodactylus....
They are now Strophurus....

Eastern Spinytail - Strophurus williamsi
Northern Spinytail - Strophurus ciliaris
Southern Spinytail - Strophurus intermedius
Western Spinytail - Strophurus strophurus

No probs mate.

Pilbara Pythons ( www.pilbarapythons.com ) is based in WA....

How do u tell the gender?
Hemipenal bulges are easily seen in mature males.

what is the best inclosure for them?
i find 2ft aquariums with a sealed lid and decent ventilation works well.

best way to breed them?
Very easy to breed, they will pretty much breed by themselves.

the assorted colours they come in(i have only seen the plain grey/black colour)?
Normally a grey/silver colour but can be red, white or brown in some of the species.

happy to be handled?
no geckos are happily handled... be careful with the spinytails they can jump quite far, can drop their tails and can release an odour from their caudal tail glands when they feel threatened.

best food & drink?
Appropriate sized crickets or woodies for food, and provide a small water bowl for them, but mist the enclosure and geckos a couple of times a week. They will lick water droplets from themselves and branches etc for hydration.

Thank you so much Matt!
I love your little guy in the pic, avatar!

Not a problem at all....

Im only keeping Strophurus intermedius at the moment....
heres a pic of 1 of my intermedius enclosures.....
strophstank.jpg

yeah that pic in my avatar is one of my female hypo thick tails (Underwoodisaurus milii)

na you cant over feed them.... mine eat about 6 or so small crickets each every 3 days or so

Just to correct, an odour is not released from the spine glands on the tail, a sticky liquid can be sprayed or smeared from the glands. Apparently it is extremely irritating to the whoever wheres it on the skin. I don't think its a common way they defend themselves in captivity though.

Just to correct, an odour is not released from the spine glands on the tail,

just to correct:

"The tail secretion is quite pungent"
from dr danny browns website.... so yes it is an odour shawn! :)

also:
"The spiny tailed forms are tail squirters and may raise their tails and eject secretion up to 60 cm from their position"
again from dannys website

Hey Matt, do you have any heating on that tank in the pic ?? Is it right you need a heat pad on the side of the enclosure not on the bottom ??

Warren, at this time of year, in SA, there is no need for suplimental heating for Strophurus.

i have a heating light on top of the tank, heating the tank to 25-30 degrees during the day.... but i also have ducted air con on during the day. Is that harmful to reptiles?
Im in Perth btw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back