Insulation

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mack86

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm after some advice and perhaps pictures as well would be great.

So as previously mentioned in another thread I am going to keep my little python in his 14L Sistema through his second winter after a shocker of a first winter with me. After that I plan to put him into his full sized enclosure. By that stage he would be a bit over 18 months old.

His large enclosure is glass, and honestly there is still some deliberation on getting a different enclosure BUT I'd love to hear from anyone who has been able to insulate a glass enclosure where it is still reasonably asthetically pleasing? If anyone could explain that would be great - what did you use? How did you attach to the outside? Pictures would be great too. Using insulation will also be great for a bit more privacy because my guy is very shy.

Hope to hear from someone :)

Thanks

My enclosure isn't fully glass so take it with a grain of salt but when I first decorated I made a fake rock background using XPS foam board and grout you can buy from Bunnings. It was unintentional but I came to realise that it was actually keeping in a lot of heat, so much so that I had to remove it in the summer, makes sense because the foam is used for insulation. If you're worried about aesthetics, the fake rock wall with insulation foam might be an idea - probably not the most efficient way to keep heat in and it requires some DIY/ makes cleaning a little harder but it looks good, is easy to customise and provides privacy whilst keeping some heat in. Theres tonnes of threads on here detailing how to make them if you're interested.

You can also buy them in a sheet molded and painted in different sizes

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1828692...QQwpiVgxUawbDWXtfqtzCgBfEe46fE7xoCxKYQAvD_BwE
You are north of me, and i don't have any of my glass enclosures insulated. People here will tell you it's wrong, dangerous etc, but i don't accept it. My snakes have a temp range in their tanks that is appropriate to the snakes and the seasons, so i'm not buying the glass is no good in any environment argument.

My enclosure isn't fully glass so take it with a grain of salt but when I first decorated I made a fake rock background using XPS foam board and grout you can buy from Bunnings. It was unintentional but I came to realise that it was actually keeping in a lot of heat, so much so that I had to remove it in the summer, makes sense because the foam is used for insulation. If you're worried about aesthetics, the fake rock wall with insulation foam might be an idea - probably not the most efficient way to keep heat in and it requires some DIY/ makes cleaning a little harder but it looks good, is easy to customise and provides privacy whilst keeping some heat in. Theres tonnes of threads on here detailing how to make them if you're interested.
Oh thanks @Tsuchinoko , I actually have one like that that came with the enclosure so I'd keep that for the back so would only need to insulate the other two sides. Thank you for the info!

Back