Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redbellybite

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
I found it interesting in what type of anti vens are used for different species ....

Immunotype

Treatment of snakebite in a clinical setting depends in part on the immunotype to which the speces belongs. The Snake Venom Detection Kit (SVDK) helps with determining this information. However, if a reliable identification is made from the specimen, treatment can proceed without use of the SVDK if the immunotype is known. The table below gives the immunotype for a number of land snake species.
Land Snake Immunotypes

SpeciesAntivenomInitial DoseBardick, Echiopsis curta Death Adder1 vial
Black Tiger Snake, island tiger snake, Notechis ater ater Tiger Snake1 vial
Blue-Bellied Black Snake, spotted black snake, Pseudechis guttatus Tiger Snake1 vial
Broad-Headed Snakes, Hoplocephalus spp. Tiger Snake1 vial
Butler's Black Snake, Pseudechis butleri Black Snake1 vial
Chappell Island Tiger Snake, Notechis ater serventyi Tiger Snake4 vials
Clarence River Snake, rough-scaled snake, Tropidechis carinatus[COLOR=#0] Tiger Snake[/COLOR]1 vial
Collett's Snake, Pseudechis colletti Black Snake1 vial
Coastal Taipan, taipan, Oxyuranus scutellatus Taipan1 vial
Copperheads, Austrelaps superbus, A. ramsayi Tiger Snake1 vial
Curl Snake, Suta suta Polyvalent1 vial
Death Adders, Acanthophis spp. Death Adder1 vial
Dugite, Pseudonaja affinis Brown Snake1 vial
Eastern Brown Snake, Pseudonaja textilis Brown Snake1 vial
Fierce Snake, inland taipan, small-scaled snake, western taipan, Oxyuranus microlepidotus Taipan1 vial
Gwardar, western brown snake, Pseudonaja nuchalis Brown Snake1 vial
Inland Taipan, fierce snake, small-scaled snake, western taipan, Oxyuranus microlepidotus Taipan1 vial
"King Brown" Snake, mulga snake, Pseudechis australis Black Snake1 vial
Mainland Tiger Snake, Notechis scutatus Tiger Snake1 vial
Mulga Snake, "king brown" snake, Pseudechis australis Black Snake1 vial
Papuan Black Snake, Pseudechis papuanis Black Snake1 vial
Pygmy Mulga Snake, Pseudechis pailsii Tiger Snake1 vial
Red-Bellied Black Snake, Pseudechis porphyriacus Tiger Snake1 vial
Rough-Scaled Snake, Clarence River snake, Tropidechis carinatus Tiger Snake1 vial
Small-Scaled Snake, fierce snake, inland taipan, western taipan, Oxyuranus microlepidotus Taipan1 vial
Speckled Brown Snake, Pseudonaja guttata Brown Snake1 vial
Spotted Black Snake, blue-bellied black snake, Pseudechis guttatus Tiger Snake1 vial
Stephen's Banded Snake, Notechis stephensi Tiger Snake1 vial
Taipan, coastal taipan, Oxyuranus scutellatus Taipan1 vial
Western Brown Snake, gwardar, Pseudonaja nuchalis Brown Snake1 vial
Western Taipan, fierce snake, inland taipan, western taipan, Oxyuranus microlepidotus Taipan1 vial
Whip Snakes, Demansia spp. Tiger Snake1 vial

RBB i couldn't follow a single word of that lol. Do you have a link to the original document?

they have repeated a few ..maybe because some are known by a few names now ?
also that suta suta gets a poly ...
Gordo ...I know its a little hard to follow ....

I was talking with Dr Bryan Fry and Chris Hay the other night about the situation with Curl Snakes. They are far more venomous than a lot of people give them credit for, and there is no monovalent antivenom for them. Quite a dangerous situation for a common, potentially lethal species.

I was talking with Dr Bryan Fry and Chris Hay the other night about the situation with Curl Snakes. They are far more venomous than a lot of people give them credit for, and there is no monovalent antivenom for them. Quite a dangerous situation for a common, potentially lethal species.
well Jonno ,I was a bit surprised at seeing poly for that ....

This one suprises me,

Cause we have lots of whip snakes up here in the NT and they are on the list as a species that can be kept under a cat 2 permit but we don't keep tiger AV in any of our hospitals.

from what I read ,,I think it is because they only have to give you a smaller amount if using tiger to black ...correct me if I am wrong ...
Nah I have absolutely no idea if it's correct or not
Was just surprised & curious as to why a black snake bite wouldn't get treated with black snake AV.

I have heard Tiger snake is cheaper to produce than Black snake? Perhaps (just a guess) Collett's, Kingy's and Papuan's are more closely related to eachother than RBB's and Spotted's, hence the choice of Black snake over Tiger?? Can anyone shed some light on this???

4 vials for a Chappell Island tiger !!
Is this because of the size of them or the amount of venom they have?
I read somewhere the Chapells venom was the least potent of the tigersnakes.
I think the peninsula tiger N,ater niger had the most potent.
Is this right?

This one suprises me,

Cause we have lots of whip snakes up here in the NT and they are on the list as a species that can be kept under a cat 2 permit but we don't keep tiger AV in any of our hospitals.
I 'd say in that case Gordo ,if you cop a good bite from a whip ..poly may be what you would get then...
and for sock ...copy pasted this explaining rbb and spotted black
'Tiger snake antivenom is just as effective in treating envenomation by the red-bellied black snake and blue-bellied black snake, and is preferable because of its lesser volume."..according to that site I was getting all this from ;)

How big is a vial?
the amount varies in the vials ..depends on what you,have been bitten by and what you need ...
intial dose reads :
Tiger snake (Vic) 3000 units
Tiger snake (Tas) 6000 units
Chappell Island tiger 12000 units
Death adder 6000 units adder anti ven
Taipan 12000 units same for inland
Copperhead (tiger anti ven) 3000 - 6000 units
EB *****
Western *****
Dugite*****
Peninsula all 1000 units brown snake anti ven
black snakes tiger or black snake anti ven 3000 (tig) units 6000 (bs) units
Mulga black snake anti ven 18000 units
Rough-scale tiger snake anti ven 3000 units

and poly for Suta suta ...not sure how much is standard for a poly ...

The amount contained in a vial is the average amount to treat an average bite from that particular immunotype (generally a genus).

Neurotoxins are a lot more 'receptive' to antivenom therapy, hence the reason that species such as Rough Scale Snakes only require 3000 units, compared to a Mulga Snake with less 'receptive' Myotoxins that require a minimum dose of 18,000 units.

to add ....

"Black Snake" a/v vials and Taipan a/v vials are large due to the venom yield, one ampoule is meant to be enough for a bite from the species it covers.....

There are number of typos in that list

Cheers,
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back