Intro and Handling Question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trin_007

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Our family has recently welcomed our first reptile - an 18mth Jungle Python, which we have named Noodle (sex unknown!)

I am a bit concerned about his previous care, with the owner saying he was only on one rat fuzzie/week to "keep him small" - he is very thin and last week I offered him two fuzzies in one feed which he snapped up no problems. He shed 5 days into our care with no problems, and his shed was approx 120cm but he only weighs 325gm.

Current temps in his tank are 24-29deg with 50-60% humidity. I have offered extra heating (although he broke our light on day 3 - knocked it out while trying to move him. I didn't have it fixed in place properly!)

So, my main question at the moment - in addition to any comments on his general care - is when is it best to handle him? I did get a nip from him one night (between offering the two fuzzies, so maybe it was a case of mistaken identity). I tried to let him settle in for a couple of nights, and then picked him up out of his hide, but then I thought, perhaps that might upset him and I should wait until he comes out of his own accord (mostly active around 6pm), but he seems harder to grab and I don't want to be too rough with him, but I don't want to get bitten and scare my kids!

So, any tips on when is it best to handle him, and how to actually get him out of his enclosure, would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hey trin, sound like she is under fed.. (too me) i would try a larger meal item and raise the temp in the basking area too.. as for getting a nip its gonna happen ( as i tell my kids they cant talk so its a way of communication) handle her as offen as i like remember the more the interaction with you/kids she will settle down and become a even better snake... one thing i have always done is i never feed my snakes in the enclosures i get them put and place them in bins and feed them in those. I believe this helps as when i open my cages up i down have a snake assuming food and starts striking me and me losing more blood.. this will vary from people.. its just my own opinion.. ;) if you can post pictures up of her maybe next to something that we can determine the state of the snake.. ie ruler etc. Give people , with way more experience than I an idea of what do reply with :) happy herping

Congrats on your new snake!
I agree with Murph_BTK that it sounds as if it was being underfed, defiantly bump up the food size, if it takes 2 fuzzies easily maybe move onto hoppers. Your temps sound good as well as humidity, although I do keep my jungle's hotspot at 31, as for the light, is it inside the enclosure? If so does it have a cage?
As for handling, what worked best for me and has tamed my snake down immensely, is to handle everyday for small periods of time and then work upwards, now I can have him out for hours at a time while he sleeps on me. Eventually you will get a defensive nip, it happens to everyone who owns snakes, however at your jungle's size it shouldn't hurt so much, the worry of being bit it much worse than the bite itself.
If you reach into the snakes enclosure to get it out, it will be upset because your hand is in its home. The best way to reduce stress is to get in and get out quickly, just reach in and grab it as fast as possible with no hesitation. However this method works best if it is outside of the hides.
Hope this helps, good luck!

if you can post pictures up of her maybe next to something that we can determine the state of the snake.. ie ruler etc. Give people , with way more experience than I an idea of what do reply with :) happy herping

I hope my images work!
Phone April 2016 563.jpg
Phone April 2016 553.jpg
Phone April 2016 537.jpg

So any tips on when I should try and handle him - straight from his hide or while he is out?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Iguana - you must have replied while I was uploading my photos. I'll try those handling tips, a little every day!

I approach my removal of snakes from underneath its body and from behind its where it is facing.. and yeah no hesitation ;) handle as much as you desire but not after eating...give her a cooling off period.. beautiful looking snake BTW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back