Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AussieNewbie

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a newbie to keeping herps and I am in the process of getting my license and getting a home for my first one. However, I am interested in getting an Irian Jaya Carpet Python and have heard that they are not available in Australia. Is this true?

Also, what do you guys and gals think is the best snake for a begginer?

Thanks, looking forward to getting to know you all.

That is an unusual choice for a first snake. You will find anything that is not native australian will be very close to impossible to get and keep legally. Check out pics of local aussie pythons, we have some awesome native snakes.
I think the spotted python is ideal for beginners, they are not too big, they are easy to maintain and they are very docile (there are exceptions to every species though!).
Why not try an aussie carpet python, they do grow bigger than spotteds but they are just as easy to keep and can be just as friendly. There are some great colout variations, proserpine, cairns or cape yorks have lots of browns and stripes etc. Do some research, ultimate reptiles' site has some good pics of carpet variations. I love the cairns form!
Good luck,
Cheers
Ad

I have kept the Irian Jaya carpets before in the UK, they are the same subspecies as the Darwin carpet python(Morelai.s.variegata), they are different to the IJ's, but very similar.
I would go for them if you like IJ's.

Neil

Hi AussiNewbie
Its true that u can't get Irian Jaya's but ....
Our North Western Carpet Python/Darwin Carpet Python (Morelia spilota variegata) is actually the same species as the Irian Jaya Carpet Python. Irian Jaya may be more intensly coloured or banded is all.

Doh! u beat me to it NC :)

Hi again,

Thanks for all the replies. I actually read something that mislead me to believe that IJ's were Australian natives, I am glad I posted here about them cause now I know there not.

I do want my first snake to be an Australian native, in fact I may only ever keep Australian natives, so I will check out those suggestions.

I think that an Aussie carpet may be a bit too big for me to start with. The reason I wanted the IJ is because I like carpet's and it was relatively small compared to the rest. What about our Darwin Carpet Python, what are the usual size of these.

Also, what places do you all recommend for purchasing these animals, I have been looking at ReptileCenta and was just wondering what some other places are.

thanks alot. :D

p.s I think that they grow to approx 7ft, 2.1mtrs. Nice snake I reckon, and as she is the only snake I've got, I can afford to be biased. Not an expensive snake either!

I think Greebo has some lovely Darwins, check his pic gallery on this site.

Darwins can be rather cranky though, i had 3 and they'd get so wound up, they'd bite at anything - they also get quite big!
i personaly would recomend an atherton for a beginner, 'generally' they are fairly placid and pretty too - same with murrays, bredli and diamonds - but thats just my opinion

Not just Darwins I had a large male Murray Darling years ago and he was always snappy. I now have a juvi Murray Darling and every time I walk past his cage it sounds like a bunch of stones hit the glass. He strikes and strikes and then just for fun he strikes some more. He is getting better though (slowly) I think he will just always be a snappy little fella.

Darwins can be rather cranky though
Pish posh. Check out the photos in my gallery of my 12yr old daughter holding my 6ft male darwin.He is the most placid snake, I do not even need a hook to get him out of his enclosure.
You are always going to get snappy snakes but to lable a whole species as snappy is silly.(All generalisations are wrong :D )
Ad recommended a spotted python.I have one that is a right mongrel and he will never be friendly but I know this is the norm as most spotteds are fairly placid.

I probably can't comment to much as my Darwin is only about 6 mths old and she doesn't bite anymore. When I say anymore, I mean, she was like a bloody sewing machine needle when I first got her - actually for about 2 months. Thought if I could just get a thread in her mouth I could stitch up a few pairs of jeans that had holes in them! Got a little on the annoying side, but she's cool now.

Out of my 4 darwins 2 are just evil and 2 are great.

I wanted those darwins of yours Greebs but you beat me to them. :evil: :x

Ok, I am really new, Antaresia and mac?? What is the common name and do you have a link to some pictures.

thanks for your input.

if you want to see the cutest mac (antaresia maculosa), check out my bub, storm, in my personal gallery.

Spotted python, Childrens python are the commom names of these. Be careful with childrens python ads though as there are three different species that will be classed y some people as "childrens". This is why it is usually better to learn the scientific name and go by that, common names can cause confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back