Is 40x22x25 too big for a hatchling?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kxvvyvvxw

Reaction score
Hi

I have been in the process of aquiring my first snake, which is a south west carpet python.
Over the last couple days I've been searching my city for a good hatchling enclosure(click clack or otherwise).
I had terrible luck searching for a tupperware style container to customise into a hatchling enclosure, as every store I've been to they are either too small, too large, no safety click lid etc.

Today I discovered a 40x22x25(20L) enclosure with a click lid and purchased it but I'm not 100% sure it will work as desired.
When I compare the enclosure to click clacks in reptile stores and online its basically the same size, but double the height.
I have attached an image to the post.

I have also seen people recommend 20L & even 30L( https://www.aussiepythons.com/threads/what-size-click-clack.200355/ ) click clacks for carpet pythons but as I'm so new I thought I'd seek advice here.
I'm 100% for a stress free and comfortable environment for my hatchling so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• terr.png
    terr.png
    251.6 KB · Views: 0
Personally I always go for the largest enclosure I can get. But seeing it’s a young python I would go small with the view to increase in size as the animal grows

There is a brand of click clack I use in my incubator and hatchie rack that have multiple sizes and lockable lids, called "systema" available in supermarkets, they are made in NZ so not Chinese crap if that is a problem

I always put my snakes in the enclosure they are going to stay in. So long as they have small areas with hides, temp gradients, cover and water, they seem to hang out comfortably in one or two small spaces.

They move around and explore during the night and go somewhere they feel secure during the day.

My jungle was this big when i got him

snake49.jpg

And he went into a 4 x 2 x 2 tank. He's always seemed content, happy and willing to be handled from aftyer i first tamed him in the first month, hasn't struck, and now he's a bit larger and really confident in his safety in his enclosure he doesn't use hides at all. Spends 23.5 hours a day basking up high on his flat branch.

After all, the world is a big place too when they are little, but find a small microcosm and they are reasonably secure.

snake81.jpg

I know this is not the recommended practice, so take it with a grain of salt and enjoy the pics of a supremely vain, secure and happy animal. :)

Latest posts

Back