Is it common for snakes to eat rats tail first?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raymonde

Reaction score
My woma has a habit of eating her rats tail first. It doesn't seem to be a problem, she's been doing it for years, without any incidents, she just takes ages to eat. She will also eat them head first and twice even managed mid body first, folding the rat in half (indicating it was time to go up a size of rat). Clearly she is not very bright with regards to her instincts.... I also have a bredli which is way way smarter or a least has way better instincts and she has never done anything like it.

I was just wondering since snakes should instinctively eat head first. Is that even true? Maybe snakes don't care about eating head first. Does anyone else have snakes that regularly eat tail first? Its happened so many times that it can't be a accident, its like she looks for the tail or leg to start with... I am just curious if its just my silly woma or if it is more common that i thought.

They do it when the food item is too small and the orientation of the legs doesn’t matter

I suspect it's because they locate the head via smell and the tail end may smell more than head when the food is f/t. I always give the rodents head a good squeeze just before I feed to increase the heads smell.

My womas always go head first, you can try increasing food size, put up fight when it grabs the rat and warm up the head more than the body.
If I ever had to eat a rat, I def wouldn't start at that end.

I saw the title of this thread and my first thought was "What snake would do that... must be a dopey Woma"... and I was right. 😆

I love my woma - so much dopiness I'm surprised these things manage to actually thrive in the wild! My woma manages to get head first (cosidering how dopey she is... it's surprising). In the end though - snakes going to do what snakes going to do - if yours is eating rear first or sideways - they tend to figure it out in the end.

Now I'm tempted to feed mine an undersized to see just what happens. ;)

One of my pythons would eat quails bum first with out an issue. Never seen them eat rats bum first though my hatchie tried to eat it’s pinky sideways yesterday. Guess we going up a size soon

Latest posts

Back