Is there a average growth rate

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colin41

Not so new Member
Reaction score
May sound silly, BUT. My Stimsons is just on 8 months old. When hatched it was 22cms long and weighed 8 grms. She feeds well, on Wednesday each week. Since having her she has shed 3 times. (1) after about 3 months (2) after about 2 months and (3) after 3 months. I am now feeding her pinkies, but quite big ones.
She is now 38.76 cms long and weighs 26.36 grms. I keep her in a plastic box (Bunnings) which measures about 4o cms x 35cms x 17 cms. I have a heat mat beneath.

Reading up about Stimson's Pythong there seem to be the suggestion that after 12 months it is right to put her into my large terrarium. Purchased all glass 90 cms x 60 cms x 40 cms. Would that be correct. I don't want it to be scared of large area if it isn't suited to that?

My last questions are. Roughly what length would my python be expected to be at 12 months old. And, how long until it is full size?

Attachments

• 70 22nd Feed Hermione Lazing around.jpg
    70 22nd Feed Hermione Lazing around.jpg
    313.5 KB · Views: 19
pinkies (even big ones) offer next to no nutrition = very very very slow growth

at 26g is still very small and at 12months itll still be very small for a larger enclosure

if you want a faster growth, go to something 25-30% of her weight and keep going up in food size untill adult mice and then you can stretch out the feed to fortnightly etc
[automerge]1630581540[/automerge]
I am now feeding her pinkies, but quite big ones.
w..what was she eating before?

pinkies (even big ones) offer next to no nutrition = very very very slow growth

at 26g is still very small and at 12months itll still be very small for a larger enclosure

if you want a faster growth, go to something 25-30% of her weight and keep going up in food size untill adult mice and then you can stretch out the feed to fortnightly etc
[automerge]1630581540[/automerge]

w..what was she eating before?
I was feeding her 1 day pinkies. I believe that the pinkies I am feeding now (this was the first one). Am I best feeding her more than one pinky each time I feed her. I am not after really trying to super feed/size her, just want to know that I am not underfeeding her. Many thanks for the advice.

just want to know that I am not underfeeding her
you are. shes getting no bones, no fur, nothing... its like mmmm only eating the skin off bbq chicken

pinkies are pretty much to get the animal feeding, after they are eating well you up the food to something more "whole"

I have seen baby mice with fur but they seem to be sooooo large that I cannot see them fitting in her mouth. They are about 7cms x 2.5cms.

Never Underestimate what these animals can fit in their mouths.

if they don't think they can fit it in or they don't want it, they simply won't eat it.

Well, snakes do sometimes die from eating things which are too large, and they'll certainly try to eat things which they can't possibly fit in. I've had plenty of snakes attempt to eat me, including hatchlings. Heck, I've watched quite a few snakes put in their best attempts at literally eating themselves.

It's very common for new/inexperienced keepers to use meals which are far too small, but it's also definitely possible to go too large and it can be dangerous. I've seen plenty of snakes which have regurgitated meals which they couldn't digest, and when it happens more than a day or so after they eat, it can cause damage to the oesophagus and/or stomach which can make digestion of future meals impossible leading to the long, slow death of the snake.

Latest posts

Back