is this an asian house gecko?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Justdragons

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
This little guy came over in a crate from melbourne this morning. seems very friendly. the 2nd pic is one i took a week or two ago in the barossa. both look similar. i didnt know we had them here in sa to much if thats what they are. cheers guys.

7086052285_0b60a33470_z.jpg

7086052469_9c50eebb8d_z.jpg

Ah thats great, and both the same?? The one from the barossa is quite alot lighter than the melbourne one. Cheers for the replys guys. Guess ill put him in the garden then.

Asian Gecko's have several rows of spikes running down their tail's! Easily identified. Even the babies have this.

P.s Plus they are often one colour and a lighter brown in more common, very plain and boring!

Attachments

• hemidactylus_frenatus_asian_house_gecko.jpg
    hemidactylus_frenatus_asian_house_gecko.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 336
Asian Gecko's have several rows of spikes running down their tail's! Easily identified. Even the babies have this.

P.s Plus they are often one colour and a lighter brown in more common, very plain and boring!

Yes this is an easy way, if they have their original tail..

I see, so if they have dropped their tail at some point it grows back smooth?

I have Geckos all over my house and their tails look smooth and soft? Does that mean they're NOT Asian House Geckos like I always thought they were?

Yeah they grow back smooth

I have Geckos all over my house and their tails look smooth and soft? Does that mean they're NOT Asian House Geckos like I always thought they were?

Chances are you probably have only looked closely at ones with regenerated tails, if you keep an eye out for the spines you will see them soon enough.

There is a chance they may be a native Dtella species but its unlikely as they dont tend to "invade" ones house to the degree AHG do

Correction They still have spikes. They are not just on the tail, they are also almost go up towards the back legs! See attached :)

Attachments

• Gecko.png
    Gecko.png
    370.2 KB · Views: 249
If you look at the photos above the AHS has claws, where as natives do not

So you are saying this gecko isnt a native?

d-2.jpg

Correction They still have spikes. They are not just on the tail, they are also almost go up towards the back legs! See attached :)

That gecko has only partially lost its tail, they can loose it all the way down to the base of the hips, thats why the spikes are not a reliable way to ID them

Last edited:
It should be clarified Fuscus is partially right, Gehyra the most easily confused with AHGs lack the claw on the innermost digit of the toes.

my house was full of these in darwin they die in the back of your wardrobe and stink your house out.

I also accidently squashed many of them under plates and books and in door jams ect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back