Is this normal? - Beardie walking funny

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jared_tst

Reaction score
Hey,

Our boy Spyroh has been healthy as ever lately but randomly started doing this in his tank and freaking out, we got him out on the floor and he kept doing it, changing sides/legs that he is limping on. After a while he would do this at the start of his run and then return to normal. He's not shedding so it's not like he has itchy shed he's trying to scratch and the fact he was freaking out worried me. Any ideas? Is this vet worthy?

Only a vet can give you an actual answer to that question by physically examining it. A change in gait like this should be taken to a vet ASAP imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well it’s definitely not normal...

Anything physical like this should be taken to a vet

Thanks for the replies guys, he seems to have come good again, but we'll get him checked out regardless

I highly doubt jumping off the lounge would cause any injuries. They regularly bask on tree stumps and fence posts (most are higher than the average lounge) in the wild. When they perceive a threat they jump down and find cover. Either way a vet will be able to give you an accurate diagnosis.

It happened for about 20 minutes or so, he ended up doing a really watery poo after and seemed to come good again. Not sure if it is related or not but he hasn't shown any more signs of it today

And there is a UV light in the tank?
I'd keep an eye on him, and if there's any more odd "behaviour" like that, get him straight to a reptile vet.

And there is a UV light in the tank?
I'd keep an eye on him, and if there's any more odd "behaviour" like that, get him straight to a reptile vet.

Yeah for sure, I've got the tank all set up with the necessary stuff, measured out all the distances to make sure he's getting the right levels and all, I just changed his UV bulb as well so it should be fine in that department. Will definitely keep a close eye on him and he'll be straight in if it happens again.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone's been super helpful :)

Just an update on this incase anyone is curious or someone has this happen.

There's nothing neurologically wrong, X-Rays showed that there's eggs forming though which would be what this walk actually is, laying behaviour. So now we have to get used to saying she instead of he now haha

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back