Is this normal?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skitzmix

Reaction score
Hey all,

I purchased my 3 month old Stimson Python on Tuesday, in the shop he was lively, out of his hide and all round friendly.

Since bringing him home all he has done is bury himself under the substrate and barely moves. I have a hide for him but he likes the substrate, especially where the heat mat is.

I have the enclosure set to 34° in the warm side and 27° on the cool side.

He ate on Monday and am waiting for him to leave me a surprise one day but thought it would have happened by now.

I know it is a new enclosure for him and most likely scared but as a first time owner im just wanting to make sure there isn't anything else I need to be doing?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Hey bud, just curious as to how you’re measuring the 34 in his enclosure? Is the enclosure size too big?

Hey bud, just curious as to how you’re measuring the 34 in his enclosure? Is the enclosure size too big?
Hey Snakelover,

I have an infrared thermometer that I'm using to measure the temps. Admittedly I'm measuring at the glass as I didn't want it to be too hot and burn him if he went down.

The little guy is about 40cm long and I have him in a 30x30x20 tank with fine grade critters comfort reptile bedding.

Hey Snakelover,

I have an infrared thermometer that I'm using to measure the temps. Admittedly I'm measuring at the glass as I didn't want it to be too hot and burn him if he went down.

The little guy is about 40cm long and I have him in a 30x30x20 tank with fine grade critters comfort reptile bedding.
Any chance we could get a pic of your little guy and the enclosure setup?

Hey all,

I purchased my 3 month old Stimson Python on Tuesday, in the shop he was lively, out of his hide and all round friendly.

Since bringing him home all he has done is bury himself under the substrate and barely moves. I have a hide for him but he likes the substrate, especially where the heat mat is.

I have the enclosure set to 34° in the warm side and 27° on the cool side.

He ate on Monday and am waiting for him to leave me a surprise one day but thought it would have happened by now.

I know it is a new enclosure for him and most likely scared but as a first time owner im just wanting to make sure there isn't anything else I need to be doing?

Thanks in advance for the help!

First snake?

Take what I say with a grain of salt - there are far more experienced people here (and I kinda feel safe sharing my thoughts because if I say something dumb - someone will be kind enough to correct me).

But firstly, if I understand correctly - you acquired the Python on Tuesday - only 3 days ago? My first guess is that it will need some time to feel safe in the new enclosure. I remember when I got my snake I was told not to touch/handle/do anything and wait a week before even considering offering it a feed, let alone anything else.

As for the surprise - you could feed 3 or 4 times before getting one of those if my experience is anything to go by, so don't get too worried about that.

Just make sure that the cage temperature is right, that there's water, and apart from that leave it alone - cover up the glass even to give it time to become comfortable with it's new surroundings.

If your cage is too big, you could consider a smaller setup to start with. Carlos is probably better suited for that, so sending a pic his way as requested would probably be ideal.

First snake?

Take what I say with a grain of salt - there are far more experienced people here (and I kinda feel safe sharing my thoughts because if I say something dumb - someone will be kind enough to correct me).

But firstly, if I understand correctly - you acquired the Python on Tuesday - only 3 days ago? My first guess is that it will need some time to feel safe in the new enclosure. I remember when I got my snake I was told not to touch/handle/do anything and wait a week before even considering offering it a feed, let alone anything else.

As for the surprise - you could feed 3 or 4 times before getting one of those if my experience is anything to go by, so don't get too worried about that.

Just make sure that the cage temperature is right, that there's water, and apart from that leave it alone - cover up the glass even to give it time to become comfortable with it's new surroundings.

If your cage is too big, you could consider a smaller setup to start with. Carlos is probably better suited for that, so sending a pic his way as requested would probably be ideal.
Thanks Adam,

Yeah it is my first snake so want to make sure I have everything right for him.

I have attached a pic of the enclosure (not fully finished, I have some cool sticks disinfecting at the moment).

Am I right in keeping the glass temp at 34° or should I increase it so the tank temp gets warmer?

Thanks about the info about the waste end, as long as I know he can go a couple of feeds without going then that's great.

Thanks,

Colin

Attachments

• 20220429_180030.jpg
    20220429_180030.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 20220429_180059.jpg
    20220429_180059.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220426_180159.jpg
    20220426_180159.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 18
I have a Woma, not a Stimy so I'm not 100% sure - but I would be going for the temperature of the glass and not the air from what I've been told (and what I have done).

This will allow the snake to regulate it's own temperature by soaking up the heat on the glass when needing to get warmer, and then moving to a cooler area of the tank to cool down.

I was originally obsessed with air temp's in the cage, and couldn't get the perfect hot-side / cold-site temperature. Being such a small cage, if I heated the cage up to the hot level, the cold side wouldnt be cold enough and vise versa and I was pulling my hair out.

Then I was informed that it doesn't matter how cold the air temp gets in there - ignore that (just make sure that the air doesn't get hot), and make sure that the hot side temperature is based on the heat of the tiles - not the air temperature and all should be fine. I now have a healthy snake - so I'm guessing it was the right advise.

I know some snakes are basking snakes instead - so might pay to do a bit of searching about Stimmy husbandry - but FWIW - I definitely would not increase the glass so it's temperature exceeds the max temp for the snake - at least unless someone else with more knowledge steps in here and tells me I'm talking BS .... otherwise I think you could do harm. I think the greater danger will come from the snake over-heating and not being unable to cool down, as opposed to it not being warm enough.

I have a Woma, not a Stimy so I'm not 100% sure - but I would be going for the temperature of the glass and not the air from what I've been told (and what I have done).

This will allow the snake to regulate it's own temperature by soaking up the heat on the glass when needing to get warmer, and then moving to a cooler area of the tank to cool down.

I was originally obsessed with air temp's in the cage, and couldn't get the perfect hot-side / cold-site temperature. Being such a small cage, if I heated the cage up to the hot level, the cold side wouldnt be cold enough and vise versa and I was pulling my hair out.

Then I was informed that it doesn't matter how cold the air temp gets in there - ignore that (just make sure that the air doesn't get hot), and make sure that the hot side temperature is based on the heat of the tiles - not the air temperature and all should be fine. I now have a healthy snake - so I'm guessing it was the right advise.

I know some snakes are basking snakes instead - so might pay to do a bit of searching about Stimmy husbandry - but FWIW - I definitely would not increase the glass so it's temperature exceeds the max temp for the snake - at least unless someone else with more knowledge steps in here and tells me I'm talking BS .... otherwise I think you could do harm. I think the greater danger will come from the snake over-heating and not being unable to cool down, as opposed to it not being warm enough.
Thanks Adam,

Thats what i was thinking to, thank you for your extensive response, it's nice to see such an active community 😀

Latest posts

Back