Jag Jungle often have nero problems? What is hypo jag?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s just the jag gene, all animals with it will carry some sort of neuro, from not noticeable to completely whack

It's the same for all jags, not all jungles. Any type of jag has a neurological problem. Jungles and hypos don't have this problem on their own, but the jag version will be as bad on average as any other type of jag. As Herpetology says, the expression ranges from unnoticeable to 'completely whack'.

I believe this is because Jags are the result of breeding species that wouldn't normally encounter each other and breed, plus selective/inbreeding can limit the gene pool, so you're not going to get healthy kids.

Last edited:
I believe this is because Jags are the result of breeding species that wouldn't normally encounter each other and breed, plus selective/inter-breeding can limit the gene pool, so you're not going to get healthy kids.

This has exactly zero to do with it. Jag is a single gene mutation. They're all just carpet pythons. You can cross any carpet pythons you like and you won't get this problem. Clutchmates of jags (from the same clutch of eggs, same parents, genetically the same other than that one single jag allele) have no issue.

I don't know enough about Jags, hence the use of the word 'believe', though maybe I could have been more clear on my unsurity, but I will stand by that constant inbreeding and limiting the genepool available have adverse effects for any species. I thought it might be appropriate here though as animals bred for aesthetics tend to suffer. Though a touch of googling seems to link the Jag gene with neurological issues - whether this is true or not, neurological issues do seem to be associated with them. I do wish there was a bit more proper research and evidence available.

Last edited:
I don't know enough about Jags, hence the use of the word 'believe', though maybe I could have been more clear on my unsurity, but I will stand by that constant interbreeding and limiting the genepool available have adverse effects for any species. I thought it might be appropriate here though as animals bred for aesthetics tend to suffer. Though a touch of googling seems to link the Jag gene with neurological issues - whether this is true or not, neurological issues do seem to be associated with them. I do wish there was a bit more proper research and evidence available.

There's a ton of research and evidence. Being unaware of it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. The neuro is entirely related to the jag mutation. It is entirely easy to produce jags with zero inbreeding and they have the same incidence of the neuro as any other jags.

Incidentally, 'interbreeding' has a completely different meaning from 'inbreeding'. One means breeding two significantly different things together, the other means breeding closely related individuals together.

People who spread information despite being uninformed are the source of a great deal of the misinformation in our world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back