Jeckyll and Hyde feeding response

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BeZaKa

Reaction score
Hey all, thought I would put this out there to see if anyone has experienced something similar. My 7 month old BHP whom I believe was a slow starter on feeding has had a significant change in his feeding response which I haven't come across with any of my other pythons. My first few feeds with him he was a very reluctant feeder, he refused to strike, refused to go near the rat if anyone was in the same room or watching and would take an hour plus to even engage the rat to eat it. This went on for a few weeks. The last couple of feeds he has started striking and constricting very aggressively. The last two feeds he has turned into a down right homicidal, serial killing psychopath. The feed response is unbelievable. When he sees\smells the rat coming he will start launching at the glass, hissing and striking repeatedly (rather clumsly and nearly tagging me:D even with extra long tongs) Now, I know I am feeding him enough and based on his weight/age grams to body weight etc, every 7 days so I can't imagine he is hungry. When its not feeding time he handles like a dream. Was just wondering if this has been experienced by anyone else??? Ps. I'm not put off by it cause I prefer the strong feed response to him being a fussy feeder, I'm just curious. Cheers

Aspidites are fairly well known for having strong feeding responses. My Woma isn't too bad but it does wag its tail like a dog at feed time. Let's hope for your safety that when it's over six or seven foot, it's calmed down a bit :p

I've got a coastal who was the same. When we first got him, I'd have to cover the tank with towels to give him privacy otherwise he wouldn't touch the rodent, and if you so much as twitched the towel when walking past he wouldn't feed. He was about 3 foot when we got him, so he'd obviously been eating something to get to that size! Now, it's a complete turnaround. He's one of my garbage disposals :)

I've got a coastal who was the same. When we first got him, I'd have to cover the tank with towels to give him privacy otherwise he wouldn't touch the rodent, and if you so much as twitched the towel when walking past he wouldn't feed. He was about 3 foot when we got him, so he'd obviously been eating something to get to that size! Now, it's a complete turnaround. He's one of my garbage disposals :)
I had to do the same with the towel same reaction as yours, so when in the space of two weeks he has gone in the opposite direction its pretty amazing:D
Aspidites are fairly well known for having strong feeding responses. My Woma isn't too bad but it does wag its tail like a dog at feed time. Let's hope for your safety that when it's over six or seven foot, it's calmed down a bit :p
My woma has always had a strong feed response also, but watching the BHP feed now and comparing the two is like comparing the Queens table manners next to a rabid wolf. If he keeps it up ill have to invest in full body armour:shock:. All the same it just makes feeding him "interesting" I'd never get rid of him for being enthusiastic with his feeding though;) just gives him character IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back