John Cann Last Show this Sunday

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MattM

Reaction score
Hi there,

for those of you who haven't heard along the grapevine, John Cann will be giving his last public show at the snake pit in La Perouse (Sydney) this weekend. The snake pit in Larpa has been hosting shows since 1897, and the Cann family have been doing regular shows for nearly a century. The contribution they have made to public education about reptiles is extraordinary when you consider that their family committed to the show for love and not for profit. I understand that the Hawkesbury Herp Society will be taking over the show, and I'm sure they will do a great job, ....but this Sunday represents the end of an era. Don't miss the chance to see John give his show one last time.

His show starts at 1pm and I'm not sure when they finish. The show is at 'the loop' at the end of Anzac Parade in La Perouse in Sydney. Just look for Cann Park and the big crowd of people.
After the piece on the 7.30 report mid week and the front page news on the local rag I expect there will be a big crowd. I hope a good crowd of people turn out to send him off. Hope to see you there

regards

Matthew

The end of an Era
The final page of the long history of the 'La Perouse Snake Man' will be turned this weekend when the area will farewell its last snake handler. The Snake Man's origins in La Perouse date back to the early 20th century but the most enduring name associated with this history is that of the Cann family. But the Cann line of "snakies", which dates back to 1919, will come to an abrupt end on April 18, when La Perouse's last Snake Man, John Cann, retires.
(B. Cormack, Southern Courier)

Mr Cann's involvement was following in family footsteps. His mother, Essie Bradley, was the first snake woman of Tasmania; his father, George Cann snr, was running a snake show in Hatte's Arcade in Newtown by age 13. After fighting in France during World War I, George snr returned in 1919 to take over the loop in La Perouse, a snake pit that had hosted performances since 1897.

The pit's previous operators had been a colourful, if luckless, lot: its founder, Professor Frederick Fox, died after being bitten by a krait in Calcutta; the next operator, Garnett See, was killed in 1913 by a brown snake at his first La Perouse show; Tom Wanless, a subsequent owner, died in 1921, struck by a green mamba during a demonstration in South Africa.

In 1938, Cann snr became the curator of reptiles at Taronga Park Zoo, but continued to run the loop on weekends, with help from his young sons, George jnr and John. When their father died of a stroke in 1965, the sons took over.
(Tim Elliott, January 23, 2010, SMH)

John and his brother, George ran the show for more than 40 years before George passed away. John continued the family tradition alone of presenting weekly shows, but the time has come for him to pull up stumps.

The Cann family contribution to public education about reptiles is epic. Week in and week out for many decades they have quietly gone about their business of providing public shows. He and his family have educated and inspired generations of Australians. For that we are extremely grateful. John will hand the show over to the Hawkesbury Herpetological Society, but this weekend is the last opportunity to see him give his show.

John is looking forward to having the time to travel with his wife and to pursue his interest in freshwater turtles. He wants to "go camping, get out and about, There's still lots to see out there." We wish him all the best!

References: the above combines extracts from articles by Tim Elliott, January 23, 2010, Sydney Morning Herald and Briget Cormack, Southern Courier, 1/4/10

Few Pics of a great day

the weather was kind and the crowds piled in to see John's last show. By the time he arrived he had to push his way through to the front and jump the fence, and he started by taking a few photos of the crowd as his own memento before diving into the routine.

About 10 minutes into the first show Peter Garrett and the local mayor jumped the fence and made a speech. I didn't hear a word of it but the crowd all joined in for 3 cheers, even f there was still a few hours to go. He finished his shows in his usual laid back laconic style.

There were many herpos there to pay their respects and the crowd was much bigger than any I have seen down there. John signed off with a smile and took the time to have photos with the family. It must have been a massive day for all of them.

thanks for the memories. What a man, what a family!

Attachments

• canncertificate.jpg
    canncertificate.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 81
  • cannpackedhouse.jpg
    cannpackedhouse.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 108
  • canny and a diamond.jpg
    canny and a diamond.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 99
  • 041.jpg
    041.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 109
I made it down there with the family yesterday. Was a huge turn out.

Saw bugger all of the show through the crowd, but was still good to be down there. My wifes uncle was with us and ran into an old mate of his who used to go out with John on catching trips in the 60's so a few good stories were heard.

No Cann do any more as snake man farewells family tradition

Article in todays SMH.

also.... anyone know what tv show he was on on Fri / Sat?

a mate here at work saw it, but cant remember what show it was. I wanna check it out. Saw the Tuesday ABC one and that was pretty good.

also.... anyone know what tv show he was on on Fri / Sat?

a mate here at work saw it, but cant remember what show it was. I wanna check it out. Saw the Tuesday ABC one and that was pretty good.

Stateline (NSW) on the ABC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back