Jungle carpet python for inexperienced person

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gj1907

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first ever post!

I'm planning to get a blonde spotted python soon but I've always wanted a jungle more than any other snakes.
Problem is I've never owned a snake before (hence, I'm planning to get the spotted python) and the only reptile experience I have is with my current pet gecko and he is no bigger than my hand.
Another problem is that I'm a 160cm (5'3) woman who lives alone. I know jungles aren't huge compared to other carpets but still compared to me they are.
Lastly, I've heard baby jungles can get quite snappy.

Should I just go for a blonde spotted python? Honest advice is always welcomed.

If not getting bitten is especially important to you, get something other than a Jungle. If a bite once in a blue moon or potentially often is not a problem for you, and a Jungle is what you want, get a Jungle.

You get some jungles which don't bite, but your chance of getting a bitey snake is significantly increased if you choose a Jungle.

Having said that, I wouldn't describe the actual danger as significant; a bite isn't likely to do much more than deliver a bit of pain and draw a bit of blood. Then again, this depends on your pain tolerance etc. Keep in mind that any python might bite you, although even for someone like me who doesn't particularly care if I get bitten and if I particularly want not to be bitten I'm capable of handling a python in a way which means I avoid it, it's nicer to work with snakes you can just pick up, inspect, put into other tubs, etc etc without having to use any particular handling techniques. Most Carpets are at least a little snappy as hatchlings, most grow out of it. Jungles are the type most prone to never growing out of it.

I'd personally go for a Spotted because I like Antaresia and I'm not into Jungles, but if I liked Jungles I'd personally get a Jungle. Then again, I don't care if I get bitten and can avoid it if I want to and rarely handle snakes for fun anyway. If you just want one snake and handling is important to you and being bitten is a big problem for you, then definitely don't get a Jungle, you're just setting yourself up for too likely a chance of stress and disappointment.

There is no guarantee that the spotted you buy will never bite you. Spotted pythons can be defensive or have a pronounced food reaction, either way you will be bitten. Once you have been bitten a few times you will realise just how much of a non event it is (taking into account the size of either animal). An adult spotted bite causes very little pain as Sdaji mentioned and an adult jungle will be slightly more painful than that.

Neither species that you are interested in is a python that is recommended to be two person handler.

There are mainly two different kinds of bites as well. A defensive bite is when the animal feels threatened and will bite you to discourage any interaction. This is a very quick bite, where the animal will often bite then release. This will often have happened before you know what is going on.
A food response bite is always the more serious of the two types. The animal will bite hard and 'clamp on' and then start constriction. In my opinion the constriction part is the more uncomfortable part of a food response bite.

With experience either bite type can be identified by the animals behavior and avoided as Sdaji mentioned. With that being said, you will be bitten in gaining that experience.

Start with the spotted, gain experience and build your confidence. Then get a jungle further down the track. Two snakes are way better than one.

There is no guarantee that the spotted you buy will never bite you. Spotted pythons can be defensive or have a pronounced food reaction, either way you will be bitten. Once you have been bitten a few times you will realise just how much of a non event it is (taking into account the size of either animal). An adult spotted bite causes very little pain as Sdaji mentioned and an adult jungle will be slightly more painful than that.

Neither species that you are interested in is a python that is recommended to be two person handler.

There are mainly two different kinds of bites as well. A defensive bite is when the animal feels threatened and will bite you to discourage any interaction. This is a very quick bite, where the animal will often bite then release. This will often have happened before you know what is going on.
A food response bite is always the more serious of the two types. The animal will bite hard and 'clamp on' and then start constriction. In my opinion the constriction part is the more uncomfortable part of a food response bite.

With experience either bite type can be identified by the animals behavior and avoided as Sdaji mentioned. With that being said, you will be bitten in gaining that experience.

Start with the spotted, gain experience and build your confidence. Then get a jungle further down the track. Two snakes are way better than one.
Agreed

Latest posts

Back