Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhiburge

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I’m fairly new at snake keeping and my partner has had snakes his whole life. We recently got Kaa our jungle jag python of 2-3 years old from a friend who could no longer keep her. She is roughly 1.5m at the moment.

We have her in an enclose that’s 2.5m H x 1.5m W x 1.5 L we use an infrared lighting source for heating from above which is covered fully by a cage we have not been misting regularly as it is extremely humid and the weather is getting hotter as we live in Queensland.
Temperature at her basking spot at the top of the cage is 31-32 degrees and her cool spot is 25-27 degrees humidity is always roughly 55%
Her water bowl is kept on the cooler end of her enclosure. I use to mist the tank once a week when humidity dropped below 45% but stopped due to weather changes in Queensland.

She has been eating fine and feeds on a Large rat every two weeks, she never has trouble feeding. She has shed three times fully without issues since we have had her and shed fully roughly two weeks ago.

We clean her enclosure regularly and have no living plants in there, we use coco husk as substrate, she has a big hide, big enough water bowl to emerge who whole body. Plenty of climbing sticks and logs which she usually is climbing on (if she isn’t climbing her tank haha)

Recently she has been hiding behind her hide on the cool end of the cage in a ball and not moving out of that position (that I’ve seen) for two days at a time. Today we took her out and noticed some browning areas of scales on top of her end. No issues towards the top of her head or on her underside. I have attached a photo for reference.

Has anyone had this issue or has any recommendations of what it could possibly be? I’m very open to any ideas, we don’t believe it looks bad enough to take to a vet yet but I would hate for it to get worse.

She has been acting fine and doesn’t seem to have any neurological issues. I’m scared it may be a burn or scale rot or some type of mould? But no photos online look quite like what she has.
Her enclosure does not smell or anything either.

many thanks :)

88C5A773-F490-49A2-9251-8EE772539462.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back