Jungle Not Eating In New Enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iguana

Reaction score
hey everyone,
I'm having an issue with my jungle not having any interest in food, by that I mean despite doing all my normal tricks to get him to eat, he isn't having any of it.
He is sometimes out and about around 9pm or so, an hour or two after the lighting/heating goes off, so I took that as him 'hunting' but no, wasn't hungry afterall.
He's been recently (about a month an a bit ago) been moved into his 'adult' enclosure, a 4HX2WXL melamine tank, with a 10 hour light/heating on cycle.
This is a huge change because his last tank was purely glass, and had a 24/7 heat mat on.
I may be wrong here, but I don't think it's just because of the enclosure change. Just because when I first got him, he begun eating or showing interest in food much sooner.
I think because there's no heating at night, and it varies during the day, due to it being on a timer, he may think it's winter?
He's recently started spending all his time in his hide below, and even before never basked during the day.
I was thinking of giving him 24/7 heat, just until he started eating again, and slowly weaning him back, ie taking away an hour of heat every fortnight or so.
Have taken a couple starting weights, if they begin to drop dramatically will take him to the vet.
Normally I wouldn't be concerned he's not eating, but this is the longest he's gone I believe, and he's no where near adult size, plus it's feeding season, I would like him to bulk up for winter.
Anyways, there's my situation, any advice is greatly appreciated,
Thanks! :)

My Roughy went off his food when he was moved from @Smittiferous place, to mine and I tried lots and lots of things to try to entice him to eat... to no avail!

Eventually, I just hit him with the food item from behind and he would swing around and grab it... since then he has not missed a feed. (thanks @pinefamily for the tip!)

Just in case, re-check your temps! But I tend to think he's just having a hard time adjusting to a more open space and may need a little more time to feel comfortable in his new surroundings. I'd also suggest offering food less often.

My Roughy went off his food when he was moved from @Smittiferous place, to mine and I tried lots and lots of things to try to entice him to eat... to no avail!

Eventually, I just hit him with the food item from behind and he would swing around and grab it... since then he has not missed a feed. (thanks @pinefamily for the tip!)

Just in case, re-check your temps! But I tend to think he's just having a hard time adjusting to a more open space and may need a little more time to feel comfortable in his new surroundings. I'd also suggest offering food less often.

Thanks!
Hmm good point, it is so much bigger than his last tank. I offer food about once every 10-14 days, but i'll hold off for another 2-3 weeks and try again. Temps aren't perfect RN, the CHE I have takes ages to heat up properly, and switches off once it does ugh. Think I may switch to a dimmer.
I used to do that too, and it worked really well. Unfortunately he doesn't strike at anything anymore, and if I bap him with the rat he just flinches and 'runs' away, he's too timid.
Thanks again :)

If you are struggling to get good temps, you could try a globe instead of the CHE. Alternatively, if the CHE is switching off too soon, try a timer instead of the thermostat. You will need to experiment with how long to have off and on of course, but you should be able to get the correct temps this way. Cheap and reliable timers can be bought at Bunnings or Ikea. They have 15 minute increments.

If you are struggling to get good temps, you could try a globe instead of the CHE. Alternatively, if the CHE is switching off too soon, try a timer instead of the thermostat. You will need to experiment with how long to have off and on of course, but you should be able to get the correct temps this way. Cheap and reliable timers can be bought at Bunnings or Ikea. They have 15 minute increments.

Good idea, will try the CHE for a little longer, and if it's not working out i'll go for a globe. I was tempted to go for a timer, but those things can get insanely hot sometimes super quick, so i'm weary of using a timer instead of a thermo.

Get yourself a non contact thermometer and start checking temps.
Enclosure walls,floor,perch,python,the lot.Check them early in the morning during the day early evening and find out what the temps are doing.

Once you get a handle on whats going on with regard to those temps then you can make any changes that may be necessary.

Get yourself a non contact thermometer and start checking temps.
Enclosure walls,floor,perch,python,the lot.Check them early in the morning during the day early evening and find out what the temps are doing.

Once you get a handle on whats going on with regard to those temps then you can make any changes that may be necessary.

Thanks for the reply :)
Got a infrared heat gun, and a thermo. Infrared is much more accurate of course though, so have been using that 80% of the time. Have been watching the temps very closely throughout the past couple days, temps aren't the greatest in the morning, but they even out during the evening, to around 32 under the bask site, which he doesn't use lol.
Where he sits all day, gets to be around 24 when the enclosure temps are in their prime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back