Jungle Python layed eggs no male

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike1969

Reaction score
Hi
i have had a jungle jag python for about 4 mths and she has laid a clutch. She hasn’t been with a male and the eggs look like they might be fertile. I’m a newbie at keeping snakes and don’t have a clue what to do. Any ideas on where to start?

Can you post a picture?
There is a possibility it was bred to a male before you acquired it. If the eggs are fertile you should sell/give them to someone with the right setup. Hope this helps :)

As far as i know its called a virgin birth. either the sperm was held there for a long time and it only just layed the egg.
OR it just layed eggs. kinda like a chicken. not fertile but they still lay (im probably wrong so please correct me if i am)
Hi
i have had a jungle jag python for about 4 mths and she has laid a clutch. She hasn’t been with a male and the eggs look like they might be fertile. I’m a newbie at keeping snakes and don’t have a clue what to do. Any ideas on where to start?

As far as i know its called a virgin birth. either the sperm was held there for a long time and it only just layed the egg.
OR it just layed eggs. kinda like a chicken. not fertile but they still lay (im probably wrong so please correct me if i am)
If there was sperm from a male, it’s not a virgin birth :p it’ll be more parthenogenesis = virgin birth

Hi
I'd get them into a incubator and see what happens... Either way I'd like to hear what happens.

I raised game cock's quite a few years ago but if the hen didn't get fertilized then there would be no chicks! Don't know if that works like that for reptiles but seems about right to Me!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd get them into a incubator and see what happens... Either way I'd like to hear what happens.

I raised game cock's quite a few years ago but if the hen didn't get fertilized then there would be no chicks! Don't know if that works like that for reptiles but seems about right to Me!
Many reptiles are capable of parthenogenic reproduction and the clutch would likely be all males. If babies are desired, it would definitely be a good idea to try incubating them for a few weeks and see.

Birds & parthenogenesis: Not that I know of.

Many reptiles are capable of parthenogenic reproduction and the clutch would likely be all males. If babies are desired, it would definitely be a good idea to try incubating them for a few weeks and see.

Birds & parthenogenesis: Not that I know of.

Parthenogenesis does occur in birds. The offspring are male and fertile. Male birds produced parthenogenetically have daughters statistically more likely to reproduce parthenogenetically.

Mike: Almost certainly your snake was paired with a male before you bought it.

Thanks everyone, I've dropped the eggs at the local pet shop and they have put them into a incubator, so see how it goes.

In the future, a simple LED torch in a dark room will determine if the eggs are viable or not. If blood vessels are visible like in my pic, the egg is fertile.

Attachments

• IMG_8576.JPG
    IMG_8576.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Back